Friday, August 29, 2008

Poetry Friday - Sick

I have a rotten cold, but of course I worked sick. The thought of getting ready for a sub is so very daunting that I usually do. I know, I know, I'm encouraging the spread of the virus, which I probably picked up in the classroom in the first place.

Here's an Emily Dickinson poem that's new to me and it's just about impossible to shorten it.


Surgeons must be very careful
by Emily Dickinson

Surgeons must be very careful
When they take the knife!
Underneath their fine incisions
Stirs the Culprit—Life!


So, I'm thankful to be alive after a weird and windy week, and I guess coughing and snorting and struggling to breathe is a blessing since it proves I'm still alive. And now I'm going to go to bed.

Here's this week's Poetry Friday roundup.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you're feeling better now -- and that it didn't turn into something nastier like a full-fledged sinus infection.

So far the storm hasn't hit in the US as severely as was predicted. On the satellite image my husband was looking at, it literally made a u-turn near the coast.

Anonymous said...

Right after I wrote my comment about Gustav not hitting the states as hard as anticipated, I went upstairs and heard on t.v. that "only 7" had lost their lives for storm-related reasons. "Not as hard as anticipated" becomes kind of a meaningless assessment... "Hard enough to cause great loss" would come closer to the truth.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I don't think I've read this one before. Thanks! And get better soon.