Saturday, October 30, 2010

Reading Update

The books I finished this week were both from my classroom shelves, and both recommended by my eighth grade daughter.

Book #62 was Habibi, by Naomi Shihab Nye. I have read lots of Nye's poetry - she is one of my favorites - but this was only the second novel of hers I read, and I enjoyed it. It's the story of a girl who is half Palestinian and half American (like Nye herself), and who moves to Israel with her family. Liyana, who narrates the story, is a beautiful, three-dimensional character.

Book #63 was Invitation to the Game, a science fiction book set in a dystopic future where the unemployed, replaced in their chosen professions by robots, look for things to do - including a mysterious Game. I'm not a big science fiction fan but I did enjoy this one.

This post is linked to the October 30th Saturday Review of Books.

No comments: