Friday, December 21, 2012

Poetry Friday: Winter Stars

Winter Stars
by Sara Teasdale

I went out at night alone;
The young blood flowing beyond the sea
Seemed to have drenched my spirit’s wings—
I bore my sorrow heavily.

But when I lifted up my head
From shadows shaken on the snow,
I saw Orion in the east
Burn steadily as long ago.

From windows in my father’s house,
Dreaming my dreams on winter nights,
I watched Orion as a girl
Above another city’s lights.

Years go, dreams go, and youth goes too,
The world’s heart breaks beneath its wars,
All things are changed, save in the east
The faithful beauty of the stars.

Here's today's roundup.

8 comments:

Linda B said...

It seems that many are searching for solace this week, Ruth. It's a lovely poem, & steadiness is what is needed isn't it? Happy holidays to you & your family!

Jessica Stock said...

This is beautiful.

Margaret Simon said...

Our lives were all changed one week ago. We all grieve. And we all can see the beauty in the stars. My hope is that you and yours will focus on the beauty, the kindness, the peace. Happy Holidays!

iza said...

What a breathtaking poem!
Wishing you a bright and peaceful holiday season!

Tara @ A Teaching Life said...

That last stanza made me cry - it captured somehow the sorrow of this past week, and the yearning we all have for comfort, peace and solace.

Mary Lee said...

This poem speaks so deeply to my heart. Thank you for a perfect pick.

laurasalas said...

The world’s heart breaks beneath its wars,
All things are changed, save in the east
The faithful beauty of the stars.

Most beautiful lines I've read today, out of 50+ poems. Thank you for these words. And Merry Christmas, Ruth!

Heidi Mordhorst said...

I feel like I'm so late getting around to everyone's posts, and yet I need these repeated doses of sorrow and reflection and hope, framed in so many lines and phrased in so many ways. May we be as faithful as the stars. Thank you, Ruth.