Friday, May 03, 2013

Poetry Friday: Any Fool Can Get Into an Ocean

I'm writing this on Thursday night because I'm heading to the beach in the morning for the Eighth Grade Retreat.  I went looking for an ocean poem and immediately found this one, which seems perfect.  

"Any fool can get into an ocean..."
Jack Spicer

Any fool can get into an ocean   
But it takes a Goddess   
To get out of one.
What’s true of oceans is true, of course,
Of labyrinths and poems. When you start swimming   
Through riptide of rhythms and the metaphor’s seaweed
You need to be a good swimmer or a born Goddess
To get back out of them


Here's the rest, including a reading of it.

Off to wade through the metaphor's seaweed.  Back on Saturday.


The roundup is here this week.

6 comments:

Linda B said...

Hope you have a wonderful retreat with your class, Ruth. The poem is beautiful. I'm going to the ocean this summer & so looking forward to it! Thanks!

Robyn Hood Black said...

Happy retreating, Ruth!

Thanks for the poem - I didn't know this one and thoroughly enjoyed it, bobbing otters and all.

Betsy Hubbard said...

The beach is where I would like to be right now, writing a poem while watching some otters. :) Enjoyed what you shared.

Bridget Magee said...

Have a fabulous retreat at the ocean - what a 'treat'! Yes, I agree, Jack Spicer's poem is perfect - on many levels. =)

Mary Lee said...

"Unless you’re a poet or an otter or something supernatural
You’ll drown, dear. You’ll drown"

Here's to the goddesses, the superheroes, and the POETS!! :-)

Liz Steinglass said...

I hope you had a great retreat. I really like how the ocean becomes labyrinths, poems, love and memory. All of them much easier to get in than out.