Friday, November 08, 2013

Poetry Friday: Thinking About Thoreau

I have been writing a poem every day for the month of November, and maybe at some point I'll share more of what I've written (on Monday I posted this in honor of Pajama Day), but for today, I want to show you the best poem I read this week, by my friend Jessica Stock.  She blogs at One Wild and Precious Life about art, reading, motherhood, homeschooling, and faith.  I am always so excited when I see that she has posted something; it's always worth reading.  This week she was thinking about Thoreau as she recovered from her daughter's sixth birthday party.  Thanks, Jess, for letting me share your poem!

thinking about Thoreau at the end of the sixth birthday party

I cannot take Thoreau seriously since I learned his mother did his laundry
simplify simplify: a nice thought but somebody or your mom must wash your underwear
Thoreau lived deliberately and did not ever
so far as I am aware
separate the whites or
deal with his child's civil disobedience or
hear his name called up his spine
so persistently that he might consider ducking into the coat closet

Did you, Thoreau, ever plan a six year old's birthday party
or contemplate food allergies
crafts
test the recipe for chocolate cake with chocolate frosting
or advance confidently in the direction of the store for maraschino cherries- a five year old's only request?
Details Details

Did you, Thoreau, ever see your daughter so drunk on delight and red40
at the end of her sixth birthday party?

Now watch as I take this glass of wine to the bath
And read the Atlantic and scrub my poor feet with sugar

No one, not even Thoreau, had such delicious solitude
Not even Thoreau had such smooth feet

Jessica Stock



Today's roundup is hosted by Diane at Random Noodling.  Happy Poetry Friday!

12 comments:

Diane Mayr said...

Thanks so much for sharing this. I LOVE it. It's easy to be pure when someone else is taking care of the dirty.

Tabatha said...

Nice! I enjoyed a visit to Jess's blog, too.

Buffy Silverman said...

Wow--this poem is terrific!

Ruth said...

Comment from Linda Baie that I accidentally rejected:

"Wonderful, Ruth! A Colleague and I visited Walden Pond and Thoreau's cabin, etc. on a visit to Boston with our students, & we did talk about how he had it rather easy, all alone, doing the things he wished, unencumbered as it were. Your friend has shown the right attitude here, love he did not ever deal with his child's disobedience!"

jama said...

What a cool poem. Love its snarkiness. Much truth here . . .

Jeannine Atkins said...

I loved the title, then the first line, then the second -- grinning my way through. I wish Louisa May Alcott could have read this. I know she would raise a glass of wine, besmitten as she was with Mr. Thoreau.

Robyn Hood Black said...

FanTASTic poem - and transported me right back to my own daughter's sixth birthday party. (I'm sure there was some Red 40 in the elaborately iced cake I concocted!) Thanks to both of you for sharing.

Violet N. said...

I would love to see what Mr. Thoreau would have written back. I'll bet it wouldn't have been near as much fun! (I like what Diane said: "It's easy to be pure when someone else is taking care of the dirty."

Mary Lee said...

I snorted out loud at this -- she got it SO right -- "hear his name called up his spine
so persistently that he might consider ducking into the coat closet"

Liz Steinglass said...

I absolutely LOVE it!

Jessica Stock said...

Ruth, Thank-you for sharing this! And thanks so much for the kind comments, they made my day :-)

Sarah SSM said...

Oh, this is fun. Thank you.