Friday, April 18, 2014

Poetry Friday, Good Friday


I know I promised a review of Irene's book today, but I decided to save that for next week when I found this song.  It's more than ten years old, but this is my first introduction to it, and it is appropriate for this Good Friday.


The silence of God

It’s enough to drive a man crazy; it’ll break a man’s faith
It’s enough to make him wonder if he’s ever been sane
When he’s bleating for comfort from Thy staff and Thy rod
And the heaven’s only answer is the silence of God

It’ll shake a man’s timbers when he loses his heart
When he has to remember what broke him apart
This yoke may be easy, but this burden is not
When the crying fields are frozen by the silence of God

And if a man has got to listen to the voices of the mob
Who are reeling in the throes of all the happiness they’ve got
When they tell you all their troubles have been nailed up to that cross
Then what about the times when even followers get lost?
’Cause we all get lost sometimes…

There’s a statue of Jesus on a monastery knoll
In the hills of Kentucky, all quiet and cold
And He’s kneeling in the garden, as silent as a stone
All His friends are sleeping and He’s weeping all alone

And the man of all sorrows, he never forgot
What sorrow is carried by the hearts that he bought
So when the questions dissolve into the silence of God
The aching may remain, but the breaking does not
The aching may remain, but the breaking does not
In the holy, lonesome echo of the silence of God

— Andrew Peterson
"The Silence of God" in Love & Thunder




6 comments:

Violet N. said...

Ruth, I love this song! In fact, I posted a YouTube of it on a devotional blog I write on this very day here. Wishing you a good Friday.

Tara said...

This sent chills through me - just beautiful.

Robyn Hood Black said...

I agree - such a powerful song/lyrics. Thanks for sharing; I enjoyed hearing it performed as well.

Wishing you and yours a Happy Easter!

Linda B said...

I would never have heard this without you Ruth. This is beautiful. Have a blessed Easter.

GatheringBooks said...

Have you heard the song "Used to be" by Stevie Wonder and Charlene - that's the song I always think about when the Lenten season comes. Different from this one, but a few similarities. Thanks for sharing this one. :)

Tabatha said...

"So when the questions dissolve into the silence of God
The aching may remain, but the breaking does not"
Powerful, Ruth.