Friday, October 16, 2015

Poetry Friday: My Own Heart

Several Poetry Fridays have gone by without a post.  I still seem to be working on getting back my equilibrium and adjusting to the changes in my life.  I wish it would happen faster.  Meanwhile, my daughter texted me this photo of a Gerard Manley Hopkins poem.



Click on the photo to enlarge it, and you may have to enlarge your screen even further after that.  Or just read the text below:

My Own Heart let me more have Pity on

My own heart let me more have pity on; let
Me live to my sad self hereafter kind,
Charitable; not live this tormented mind
With this tormented mind tormenting yet.
I cast for comfort I can no more get
By groping round my comfortless, than blind
Eyes in their dark can day or thirst can find
Thirst's all-in-all in all a world of wet.

Soul, self; come, poor Jackself, I do advise
You, jaded, let be; call off thoughts awhile
Elsewhere; leave comfort root-room; let joy size
At God knows when to God knows what; whose smile
's not wrung, see you; unforeseen times rather - as skies
Betweenpie mountains - lights a lovely mile.


Amy has today's roundup at The Poem Farm.

6 comments:

Linda Baie said...

What a thoughtful daughter you have, Ruth. It's beautiful, took me a few reads to really "hear" what he was saying, but worth the time to ponder it. Love the "leave comfort root-room". It's soul-searching, isn't it? Thank you!

Amy Ludwig VanDerwater said...

Oh, and even when your daughter is away, she texts you poetry. So beautiful. Making me think of that "perfect love" you have written about. I wish you soon-equilibrium and the gifts that will come from not having had it too. Thank you for sharing these words today - Happy Poetry Friday. xo

cb hanek said...

Thanks for sharing! More than the poem itself (which, for me, demands multiple readings), I love that your daughter texted you that poem; that poetry connects the two of you. What a gift to each other! ...Hope the words of the poem minister to you. Think that's what your daughter was hoping, too? God bless you! (Feeling trapped inside a whale, myself, I needed the lighter message of "The Belly of a Whale." Hope that one brings a smile to your face, too!) God bless you!

Mary Lee said...

Oh, a million million thanks for the perfect poem at the perfect time! My self had this same conversation with my Self yesterday, and I came to the exact same conclusion (but less poetically): "let joy size/At God knows when to God knows what." For me, it was more like, "Have a lovely breakfast of fresh pear with smoked swiss on crackers, and then BE HAPPY even if you are in 'The Belly of the Whale.' "

Tabatha said...

Just like everyone said: beautiful, perfect. This is a great call for faith.

Author Amok said...

This is an amazing poem. I have a family member who is struggling with anxiety right now. I want to whisper this poem into their ear.