Thursday, May 03, 2018

Poetry Friday: Mail Day

Where I live, in Haiti, we subscribe to a service that delivers our mail once a week on an airplane. This used to be a much bigger deal when we first moved here, when many more things were done by mail. Now, we do bill-paying and correspondence online, so we don't await mail day as eagerly as we used to. 

But I've been waiting for some mail for a little while, and today I got two poetry-related packages.

I'm leaving tomorrow to go on the Eighth Grade Retreat and I'm trying to get next week's lesson plans ready (the sub plans for tomorrow are already done and laid out on the desk), and I can't wait until I get home to do my Poetry Friday post for tomorrow because our internet is out at home.  I was tempted to just skip Poetry Friday this week, but I really wanted to show you what I got in the mail. 

So here it is:
A random number generator chose me to win this book when I left a comment on JoAnn Early Macken's blog.  I'm looking forward to reading it!

And then there's this anthology. And I'm in it! And I'll post a review next week when I've had a chance to read it!
So that's my Poetry Friday post for this week.  But I'm sure other people have written posts with actual poetry in them, and you can find those here, at Brenda Davis Harsham's blog

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Exciting!! I too am waiting on that second book in the mail - looking forward to reading everybody's words! :) (Congratulations!!)

Jane @ www.raincitylibrarian.ca said...

It's always so lovely to get books in the mail, rather than just bills and adverts! :-)

Linda B said...

Awesome mail, congrats on your poem in the anthology, and enjoy JoAnn's book. I have it & it has good tips!

JoAnn Early Macken said...

What a nice surprise to see Write a Poem Step by Step in your post--I'm glad it arrived! I hope you enjoy it and all your poetry reading.

jama said...

That's what I call good mail. Enjoy the books and have fun at the retreat. Looking forward to reading your poem in the anthology. :)

Michelle Kogan said...

Hi Ruth, Your poem "Syllabus for Eighth Grade" is a real treasure, I love your last few lines,

"since nobody has ever mastered
the art of being thirteen
going on fourteen.
Or any other age, really.
We're all just figuring it out as we go along."

thanks for your rich poem and peek into your classroom.
Enjoy the retreat!

mbhmaine said...

Now that is much happier mail than a selection of bills and advertisements! I was just talking to one of my students about the anticipation when awaiting a package with a new book and then the excitement when it arrives. Enjoy your new reading material and your retreat!

Cheriee Weichel said...

How lovely for you! The only book parcels I end up with are those I order myself. That doesn't make them any less desirable though. Hope you enjoy the poems.

Brenda at FriendlyFairyTales said...

JoAnne's book is terrific. And I'm in the anthology, too. What fun!

Janice Scully said...

I enjoyed your post and a chance to think about life on Haiti and getting mail by airplane delivery. Enjoy your retreat!

GatheringBooks said...

Congratulations on being part of that anthology! BookMail is the absolute best ever. :)