Thursday, November 07, 2019

Spiritual Journey Thursday: Saints

Today our host Margaret asked us to reflect on the subject of saints. I become more interested in saints all the time; not just the ones the church has designated as saints, but the people around us, alive and dead, whom scripture calls the "great cloud of witnesses."

Here are the two songs that come to mind most when I think of saints.


Great Cloud of Witnesses
by Carolyn Arends

I was just four, my grandmother’s place
I knelt by her sofa and started this race
And now I’ve been running for such a long while
I’ve kind of lost track of the miles
Sometimes I press on, sometimes I look back
Sometimes I just lie in the road on my back
When I’ve got to get up and I don’t know how
I hear in the distance the roar of a crowd

It’s the great cloud of witnesses
Cheering me on each step that I go
It’s the great cloud of witnesses
They say the finish is worth every inch of the road

Moses is there, up in his seat
With my Grandad Wilfred, my Nana Bernice
There’s Abraham, Isaac and my buddy Rich
And I think they’re shouting "Don’t quit!"

So if you are tired, and your back is sore
If you’re not so sure you can run anymore
Then just take a moment and listen real close
Do you hear a sound like a heavenly host?

It’s the great cloud of witnesses
Cheering us on each step that we go
It’s the great cloud of witnesses
They say the finish is worth every inch of the road

It’s friends and relations and each generation of saints who believed
And received The Prize
They have looked into His eyes

It’s the great cloud of witnesses … 

This world is so full of discouraging facts, but I am thankful for the people I can look at as inspirations, role models, sources of encouragement, those people who are following our progress, praying for us, thinking the best of us and for us. 

3 comments:

Karen Eastlund said...

Ruth: Thinking of you and sending you blessings. I love the song you posted. It is new to me, but the words resonate loudly. Thank you for posting.

Ramona said...

One of the things I love about this group is that I'm introduced to new-to-me songs almost monthly. Love the idea of wanting to be one of the Saints marching in. Like Ruth, the song is new to me. And thanks for reminding us of the great cloud of witnesses who are cheering for us. Praying you'll hear and feel the love of those witnesses pulling for you. Thanks for joining and sharing your songs this month.

Carol Varsalona said...

It is good that there are role models for you to follow and people who pray for your situation in Haiti, Ruth. It is so difficult to live in such horrible conditions. Political upheavals must be so difficult to deal with but there are the saints who come marching in. What an uplifting song.