Friday, March 27, 2020

Poetry Friday: Bay Psalm Book

In 1640, The Bay Psalm Book was the first book to be printed "in British North America," according to Wikipedia. In 2013, a copy of it sold at auction for $14 million. But I'm pretty sure its value to the original users was beyond money. These people understood sickness and death and uncertainty. They also understood that rhyme and meter help to fix ideas in human brains.

Here's Psalm 23 in the Bay Psalm Book version:

The Lord to me a shepherd is,
want therefore shall not I:
He in the folds of tender grass,
doth cause me down to lie:
To waters calm me gently leads
restore my soul doth he:
He doth in paths of righteousness
for his name's sake lead me.
Yeah, though in valley of death's shade
I walk, none ill I'll fear:
Because thou art with me, thy rod,
and staff my comfort are.
For me a table thou hast spread,
in presence of my foes:
Thou dost anoint my head with oil;
my cup it overflows.
Goodness and mercy surely shall
all my days follow me:
And in the Lord's house I shall dwell
so long as days shall be.

Here you can read the text of other Psalms from the Bay Psalm Book, and listen to tunes as well.

Do you notice how in these times, people are sharing art and music and poetry online? And turning to books on their own shelves? Here's a post I wrote yesterday about what I've been reading. What are you reading or listening to that's helping you "fear none ill?" Share in the comments.

The terrific Tabatha has the roundup today.

9 comments:

Linda Mitchell said...

Wonderful...I just left Sara Holmes' blog where she and the Poetry Sisters are playing with the word/idea, classic. This fits the bill perfectly. And, your line, "They also understood that rhyme and meter help to fix ideas in human brains." is so true. We, as people, have turned to it for generations. Lovely post. And, hurrah for more poetry sharing.

Tabatha said...

It makes you read it anew when the words are in a different order. Thanks for sharing this. "My cup it overflows."

Linda B said...

I don't know about this book, Ruth, how wonderful to take words & re-write them into poetry. As Tabatha wrote, I read more carefully this time. Since I know the Psalm, it was at first disconcerting, but I slowed down & read it aloud, lovely. Thanks, wishing you & your family good health.

Janice Scully said...

What interesting language in this version of the Psalm! Thank you for sharing that. I'm reading "The Night Watchman" by Louise Erdrich on my kindle. It's gently but so totally drawing me in. I recommend it.

Mary Lee said...

I'm reading the Poetry Friday roundup. We've ALWAYS been together, even though we're apart, so this asynchronous social distancing feels normal and comforting.

Kay said...

I am reading lots of poetry as well as others. I'm escaping to old England with THE KINGMAKERS DAUGHTER by Elizabeth Wein. Thomas Merton challenges me each morning with his reflections in CONJECTURES OF A GUILTY BYSTANDER. And I am growing more excited to take part in a new children's ministry at our church by reading WORSHIP AND YOUNG CHILDREN. Since we don't have enough internet to enjoy any of the worship services being streamed, I'm going to practice the stories for our worship at home.

Karen Eastlund said...

This version of the psalm fascinates me. I will have to read and reread. Yes, the rhyme makes a huge difference. Thank you!

Robyn Hood Black said...

Amen to Mary Lee's comment...! And I'm delighted you shared some of the Bay Psalm Book. I spent quite a length of time researching the 17th Century back in the seedling days of our country, & writings and culture etc. (That project has been tucked away in a proverbial drawer for a while; maybe I'll revisit one of these days.) Wishing continued inspiration, and good health, to you and yours.

Leigh Anne Eck said...

This was difficult to read at first because the words seemed too jumbled as I kept wanting to read it as the Psalm. But I understand how the rhyme and meter would make it easier to memorize.