Friday, May 08, 2020

Poetry Friday: The Trojan Horse

My eighth graders are listening to the story of the Trojan Horse today. Did you know that it isn't even in the Iliad? Most of the details in the story come from the Aeneid. Today's section was about how the Trojans, finally released from the city walls after ten years of fighting, discover the Horse on the beach, and then find Sinon, the spy, hiding in the reeds with his prepared speech to convince them to pull it into the city.

I'd rather teach this wonderful tale in person, but I'm glad for the technology that lets me record it and send it to my kids. There are few better protections against bad times than good stories. 

Here's a slightly later part, from a translation of the Aeneid by David Ferry:

And now the heavens shift and night comes in
And covers with its darkness earth and sky
And the tricks of the Myrmidons. Throughout the city
The Trojans, wearied by joy, lie fast asleep.
And now the Greeks set out from Tenedos,
Their ships proceeding in an ordered line,
Under the friendly light of the silent moon,
Making their way toward the shore they know so well.
And when the royal galley's beacon light
Is lighted, Sinon sees it, and quietly goes,
Protected by malign complicit fates,
And furtively opens up the Horse's flank
And frees the Argive warriors from its womb.
The Horse releases them to the open air,
And joyfully they come out: first come the captains
Thessander, and Sthenelus, and dire Ulysses,
Lowering themselves to the ground by means of a rope,
And Acamas and Thoas, and Pyrrhus, Achilles' son,
And Machaon the prince, and Menelaus,
And Epeus, he, who contrived the wooden horse
That fooled us so. And when they enter the city,
That's deep submerged in wine and unknowing sleep;
They surprise and kill the watch, and open the gates
To welcome in their comrades from the fleet,
Letting them in for what they are going to do.

David Ferry's translation of Virgil (Source)

You can see the perspective; to Aeneas, telling this story later, the Greeks are definitely the bad guys, "protected by malign complicit fates."

Wishing you only benign complicit fates this Poetry Friday. Check out the poetry others are sharing at today's roundup.

6 comments:

Michelle Heidenrich Barnes said...

Man oh man, I ate this stuff up growing up. Can you imagine how the history of our world (or storytelling, for that matter) might be different if we didn't have these classic tales from Greek mythology?

Linda B said...

Wishing you the 'benign', too, Ruth & Happy Mother's Day on Sunday. Would that we had some brave ones sneaking in to capture our Covid19 enemy & take it far away! I wonder how many now cling to those old & glorious stories.

Mary Lee said...

"There are few better protections against bad times than good stories. " Amen. We finished a read aloud this week (THE HONEST TRUTH) in which the character is given trial after trial by the author, and the reader is given lots of Big Truths. 12-15 kids came back day after day to see if there'd be a happy ending. Now we're reading a funny book (MOXY MAXWELL DOES NOT LOVE STEWART LITTLE) about the trials and tribulations of summer reading assignment procrastination. This time, my 12-15 are coming together to laugh. The important thing...we're coming together for STORY.

skanny17 said...

Oh Ruth,
I wish I was your student even today. I did not have a good background in Greek and Roman history/literature. Classics. I wish I had a teacher like you who loves it and knows how to help the students understand and see how it all fits together. Can you guide me with any things to study? I know the basics of mythology and history but not the richness I am sure your students can find thanks to you!
Janet

michelle kogan said...

I had a teacher in 4th and 5th grade that I remember fondly–the main reason was she read stories to us out loud, we discussed them, and how they inspired me. I don't remember having another teacher that read to us. I do remember reading this story and seeing visually act out in my imagination, thanks for sharing it Ruth and for being an inspiring teacher!

Carol Varsalona said...

Ruth, life is complicated here on Long Island as the virus continues to spread. Thanks for the poem that brings the classics to mind. I hope you are doing well in Haiti and that Mother's Day was pleasant for you.