Thursday, September 10, 2020

Spiritual Journey Thursday: Direction


 

In the book of Exodus, the children of Israel followed a pillar of cloud by day and fire by night. They might not have known exactly where they were going, but they knew which direction to go. They just had to follow.


Technically we are supposed to do the same, right? Just follow, step by step, without worrying too much about the destination? 


It's sometimes hard to know how that plays out in real life. I would like the pillars (cloud and fire). But when I think of fire, I think of the raging, out of control ones in the western United States right now. I think of my computer charger catching fire on Sunday - actual flames, which thankfully I was able to put out with no injury to myself or damage to property. If you know God's in the fire, it's one thing, but fire without that assurance is scary. And clouds remind me of hurricanes. In the absence of pillars, it's not always easy to interpret the guidance.


How should I find direction in the decisions of my everyday life? I will pray and seek counsel, and then I will start taking steps. I don't see pillars ahead of me, but I ask God to help me make good decisions. This is scary. Often the stakes are high. 


"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." I'd prefer that the light not be a raging fire. I try to trust even when I'm afraid. 


Karen has the roundup.

3 comments:

Karen Eastlund said...

Ruth... this IS scary stuff. Every day. Thanks for your post... one step at a time.

Fran Haley said...

My mind goes in several directions with your words ... the power of fire ... that it should be a manifestation of God's presence in the pillar, in the burning bush, even ... we need a healthy fear of fire and we need a healthy fear of God in His omnipotence. And I think of the fiery furnace, with Him the midst... the word "trust" blazes up in my mind. He is never far...

Carol Varsalona said...

Ruth, lately your statement, Just follow, step by step, without worrying too much about the destination, us a strong one that I need to reflect on. I know that faith is so important and trust is what I need to follow the path. But, waiting for the right direction is the part that I am still struggling with recently. I just had a COVID-19 type of open house and I have not heard back from the realtor. I am waiting after putting my worries in God's hands. My path leads to Virginia but I need to sell this house first. Thanks for sharing your scary story so I can know that the Lord leads us onward in good faith if we believe. Stay well.