Thursday, July 01, 2021

Spiritual Journey Thursday: Summer and Birds

Carol Varsalona, who's hosting today, has invited us to reflect on the topic "Nurturing Our Summer Souls."  

 


 

 

This summer has brought several reasons, some unexpected, for stress and anxiety. Nurturing my summer soul hasn't come quite as naturally as I had hoped. But one thing I have been doing daily is looking at birds, and somehow that always makes me feel better. 

 

I always appreciated Jesus' bird-themed words in Matthew 6:


“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?"


The birds aren't just sitting around waiting for their food to come to them. They are in constant, earnest pursuit of nourishment. But they seem peaceful to us, perhaps because they can fly, or perhaps, as a birding friend put it, because they are outside of the sphere of the things that bring us stress, and we can attach any story to them that we wish. 


Even though I always enjoyed reflecting on the ways the birds' behavior comments on human anxiety, it's only been in the last two or three years that I have started to find "considering the birds," as Jesus put it (or "Look at the birds of the air," in the version I quoted above), to be a prescription for anxiety, as effective on the best days as therapy or medication. Maybe it's as simple as turning my eyes away from my own concerns, but lately the words of Jesus cycle through my mind again and again as I focus my binoculars: "Do not worry about your life....Look at the birds of the air." 


Check out what everyone else has to say for today's SJT over at Carol's blog. 

 


 

10 comments:

Carol Varsalona said...

Ruth, your thought from scripture, "Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?", made me stop and ponder. What a significant line! The word worrywart comes to mind. Have I taken a turn back to being a worrywart instead of relying on the Lord to direct me. There is truth in the statement that worrying leading to anxiety cannot "fix" issues but looking inside and relying on faith can. The birds of the air may be my go to image when stressing out. Thanks for bringing the message to me today. Take care!

Carol Varsalona said...

Ruth, I forgot to ask if the last photo is yours because I would like to include it in a Nurturing Our Summer Souls Gallery along with any other digital inspiration.image poem you would like to send me from Haiti.

Denise Krebs said...

Ruth, here I am again being inspired by your bird watching. I noticed the birds this week too, and the verses about birds are in my post today too. "Look at the birds of the air." Yes, we will keep doing that and letting go of the stressors. Peace to you as you deal with the unexpected.

Linda Mitchell said...

Beautiful post, Ruth. I'm sorry that you've had reason to need the birds in this way. But, aren't they just wonderful for taking on what you need them to? I'm praying that you find some rest and restoration in the coming weeks.

Karen Eastlund said...

Ruth, I like the verses you share. "Consider the birds" brings a wonderful image. Thank you. I'm sorry for your stress and wish you well.

Ramona said...

Ruth, I wanted to share a book I recently picked up at the library - Bright Wings, An Illustrated Anthology of Poems About Birds - edited by Billy Collins with paintings by David Allen Sibley. I don't know, Maybe you recommended it in a previous post.
Wise words from Jesus and you - "Look at the birds of the air."
I hope things calm down for you soon, with less stress and anxiety and plenty of time to bird watch.

Michelle Kogan said...

I agree with you, the birds can bring us so much calm within our agitation and anxiety–they really help me. I've had breathing issues for a couple of months that my allergist is trying to help me with, and taking in birds always seems to help me relax. I hope they continue to help you too. Thanks Ruth, and for the wooded path image too!

Robyn Hood Black said...

Ruth, what a beautiful post this is, and speaks to my heart. Praying for you and yours during such difficult times.

Tiel Aisha Ansari said...

Hard times in your country right now - I hope you are safe, and pray for better times ahead.

Chris Margocs said...

Several in this group seem to be pointing our faces towards the birds this summer! I agree that it can be balm for the soul, taking a moment to notice our winged neighbors. My birdfeeder is in line with my kitchen window, and I frequently pause to watch the varied birds who come to visit. I love the line about assigning stories to the birds, for that is what we do. Maybe in trying to make sense of their lives, we'll find some sense in our own.