Sunday, November 07, 2021

Gratiku Day Seven

 

Yesterday a service station near our house started selling gas for the first time in many days. My husband went by in the morning and said there were probably four hundred vehicles there, cars and motorcycles. Later in the day when he passed he estimated an extra hundred.


The traffic picked up outside my gate as the day went on. We all need fuel. We need it for vehicles, but also for generators to keep homes and businesses functioning. City power is mostly a memory these days. Many business owners are making tough decisions about closing, or will be soon. Starting tomorrow the banks will be open only three days a week. This opportunity to buy is likely to be short and not widespread enough to do much good. But maybe we're wrong. We try to be optimistic. Maybe the fuel crisis, and all the other attendant crises, will be over soon.


The time went back an hour at 2 AM today. Sixty extra minutes to sit on my porch, appreciating that not everything runs on gas. 


Gift of extra time.
Birds in my yard seeking fuel:
Nectar, bugs, lizards.


Birdtober? Gratiku? What's up with me and these made-up words and daily posting? Well, I've learned that a tiny little burst of creativity each day helps keep me going, stops me from being entirely fixated on the mess. That's why I post daily photos on Facebook. And that's why I'm doing these writing projects. This one is a daily haiku about something I'm thankful for. (A gratitude haiku - get it?) As long as the internet keeps working, I'm going to try to post one every day in November.



1 comment:

Susan T. said...

oh, that's a nice gratitude haiku, Ruth. 400 cars & other vehicles on line. Wow. That is something.