Thursday, June 16, 2022

Reading Update

Book #27 was Father of the Rain, by Lily King. This is the story of Daley, first in her childhood as her parents are splitting up, and then as an adult as she struggles to help her alcoholic father dry out. This was my third Lily King novel, and I enjoyed it.


Book #28 was H is for Hawk, by Helen MacDonald. Helen's father has just died, and Helen is training a goshawk. She's also reflecting on T. H. White, the author of The Sword in the Stone, who did some falconry of his own. My daughter recommended this one, and I was glad I read it.


Book #29 was Love Makes Room: And Other Things I Learned When My Daughter Came Out, by Staci Frenes. Frenes is a Christian musician whose life was upended by her daughter's revelation, in high school, that she was gay. This book chronicles the family's journey to acceptance.


Book #30 was The Bird of Light, by John Hay. This was a paper copy, given to me for Christmas by my daughter, and it turned out to be the perfect choice for a day of air travel. It's a beautiful book about terns, both scientifically and poetically written. 


Book #31 was I Wish I Could Say I Was Sorry, by Susie Kelly. This is a memoir about a young British girl growing up in Kenya in the 60s, and then her subsequent life. 


Book #32 was The Myth of Closure: Ambiguous Loss in a Time of Pandemic and Change, by Pauline Boss. This recent book, by the author who popularized the term "ambiguous loss," is a quick and helpful read.

No comments: