Friday, June 16, 2023

Poetry Friday: Summer, Finally!

Yesterday was our last day of school, and we've been packing for travel and moving house, but I don't want to skip yet another Poetry Friday, so I'm sharing a poem I shared for the last day of school back in 2017 (you can read that post here). The poem speaks of how "another circle is growing in the expanding ring" in the center of a a tree. As I look back over this year, I see ways the kids grew, and ways that I grew, and that makes me happy. I'm excited to come back for my second year at this new-to-us school in Uganda.


The Work of Happiness
by May Sarton

I thought of happiness, how it is woven
Out of the silence in the empty house each day
And how it is not sudden and it is not given
But is creation itself like the growth of a tree.
No one has seen it happen, but inside the bark
Another circle is growing in the expanding ring.
No one has heard the root go deeper in the dark,
But the tree is lifted by this inward work
And its plumes shine, and its leaves are glittering.

So happiness is woven out of the peace of hours
And strikes its roots deep in the house alone:
The old chest in the corner, cool waxed floors,
White curtains softly and continually blown
As the free air moves quietly about the room;
A shelf of books, a table, and the white-washed wall—
These are the dear familiar gods of home,
And here the work of faith can best be done,
The growing tree is green and musical.

For what is happiness but growth in peace,
The timeless sense of time when furniture
Has stood a life's span in a single place,
And as the air moves, so the old dreams stir
The shining leaves of present happiness?
No one has heard thought or listened to a mind,
But where people have lived in inwardness
The air is charged with blessing and does bless;
Windows look out on mountains and the walls are kind.
 
 

7 comments:

Tabatha said...

Beautiful poem! Good luck with your move and enjoy your travels!

Linda B said...

Best wishes for the move to go well, Ruth. I love the blessings in your poem, especially "The air is charged with blessing and does bless. Glad you are going to have a second year at your school.

Carol Varsalona said...

Ruth, I am glad that this year has been a growing experience for you and now you can relax as your travel. This line in the poem resonates with me: "So happiness is woven out of the peace of hours". It is an inspirational thought that I shall ponder as summer nears. Have a good move also. I must commend you on how you can move so easily. May your Father's Day weekend be filled with happiness.

Linda Mitchell said...

Oh, my goodness! No rest for the weary. What a stressor, moving house, at the end of the school year. I hope you are trading up. Remember to look for feathers. I've been seeing some this spring and it reminds me to think of you. Stay well, friend.

Karen Edmisten said...

Oh, I love this one. Thanks for sharing it.
Love and hugs in all the busyness of moving. So glad it was a growing year for you and the kids and that it has left you feeling happy.

Michelle Kogan said...

Thanks for this full robust poem to welcome summer and "happiness." Wishing you much happiness in your move and travels ahead, thanks Ruth!

Linda Mitchell said...

Missing you, Ruth. I'm praying you are well.