Thursday, February 08, 2024

Poetry Friday: Halcyon

 

(Click on the photo to enlarge it. I took the screenshot here.)

 

Alcman was a Greek poet who wrote in the seventh century BC. This is a translation of one of his poems by A.E. Stallings. (I have a book of hers, somewhere, in a box, in another country.) 


Halcyon as an adjective means idyllically happy, but as a noun it means a kingfisher. The scientific name of many kingfishers includes the word halcyon, including one of our dear friends where I live, the Woodland Kingfisher (Halcyon senegalensis). This bird is so full of energy, so persistent in diving to catch its prey, and so lovely in its song. This is the one I picture when I read this poem. Or maybe the Malachite Kingfisher, which doesn't have halcyon in its name (Corythornis cristatus), but has the purple coloring mentioned in Alcman's description. See below for pictures of both these beautiful birds, plus a haiku.

 
Woodland Kingfisher (Halcyon senegalensis)
 Photo Source: eBird.com
Malachite Kingfisher (Corythornis cristatus)
Photo Source: eBird.com
 
 
Kingfisher spies lunch:
swoops down, splashes, shoots back up,
halcyon blue flash
 
©Ruth Bowen Hersey

More about kingfishers here. And Carol has today's roundup here.

9 comments:

jama said...

Beautiful birds!! Thanks for both poems :).

Tracey Kiff-Judson said...

How interesting that Halycon can mean both idyllically happy and kingfisher. I had to google the kingfisher's song, and when I played it, my dog sprang up. I think she may speak kingfisher!

Patricia Franz said...

These birds and their beautiful colors and full bodies would mesmerize me!

Karen Eastlund said...

Love this, Ruth. All week I've attempted a poem about bluejays. Maybe next week! ;0)

Carol Varsalona said...

Ruth, thanks for the two different poems and the back matter. I would be happy if I saw these birds coming around. right now, I only see the crows high in the trees

Linda B said...

What a joy to see the birds and then again in the poems' words. Thanks, Ruth!

laurasalas said...

Ooh, those birds are stunning! Thanks for making me hear halcyon in a new way. <3

Margaret Simon said...

I learn so much in your bird posts. These kingfishers are so much more colorful than the ones we get here. Your haiku is spot on with word choice and imagery.

Karen Edmisten said...

What gorgeous photos of those gorgeous birds. 🤩 I'll be thinking of the word "halcyon" all week now.