Thursday, March 21, 2024

Poetry Friday: Bird Heart

 

I was looking at an Antillean Mango in my yard on Delmas 83 in Port-au-Prince one day four years ago, right at the moment when the news came that the streets were on fire (again) and we needed to stay home. 

 

What grief could that bird's heart know? None, I imagined; the bird looked so happy, dancing up there on the wire as we rushed worriedly back into the house. I felt jealous of its obliviousness, even while reminding myself that it had plenty of its own problems. 


Now I'm seven thousand miles away from that yard where the hummingbird danced. My little bird heart can't hold all the emotions I feel about Haiti. The love and sadness and guilt and fear fly all around me like feathers in a hurricane. Why am I not there, looking up at a hummingbird and smelling the burning?  


©Ruth Bowen Hersey




Rose has this week's roundup.

11 comments:

Sally Murphy said...

Ruth, your whole post is itself a poem. I can feel your pain and would like to give you a hug. I am sorry about what is happening in Haiti.

Irene Latham said...

Ruth, you were the first person I thought of when I heard the latest about Haiti. I have so much love for the place because of YOUR love for the place. Wishing peace and more peace...and so glad you are in another beautiful (safe) place now. xo

Patricia Franz said...

We wrap our hearts around yours, Ruth, as you wrap yours around the whole of Haiti and its hummingbirds.

Rose Cappelli said...

Caring thoughts are winging their way to you, Ruth. Hugs.

Linda B said...

Like Irene, I've thought of you every day after watching the terrible things happening in Haiti, Ruth. I had a parent who also visited often, doing art with those who lived there, who came to talk to my class about how beautiful it was. I am hoping that the times will change & the birds will keep their song along with the people.

Mary Lee said...

Like Irene, my thoughts turn to you when Haiti makes the news. So much sorrow there now.

Tracey Kiff-Judson said...

Ruth, I love that you still noticed the beauty of Haiti amid chaos, and I hope that the chaos soon subsides so the beauty can flourish. I am glad that you are safe!

Heidi Mordhorst said...

"like feathers in a hurricane." I've been thinking of you, Ruth, and your friends there and your home there. And now the birds. May peace come somehow.

Denise Krebs said...

Ruth, thank you for continuing to love and care for and pray for the people of Haiti. What sadness and violence is happening. I love the hummingbird photo and your memories that you share with us today. Thank you for keeping them in our consciousness.

Carol Varsalona said...

Ruth, every time I see a picture of Haiti on the news, I think of you. Your prose poem is full of emotion. I feel your sorrow and wish for peace.

Janice Scully said...

I think of you also when I hear the news about Haiti. To see a place you once lived and worked in the midst of such uncertainty and violence. I agree that your whole post is a poem and wish you the best where you now live.