Tuesday, October 06, 2026

Birdtober Day 7: Bee Hummingbird

 

 

In Haiti we regularly saw the second smallest bird in the world, the Vervain Hummingbird, which I wrote about here. But this bird, the Bee Hummingbird, is the smallest. It lives in Cuba. How I would love to see it!

 

The video says that a Bee Hummingbird may visit a thousand flowers in a day, so I had to look up how many a honeybee visits. Up to seven thousand! So Bee Hummingbirds are not quite as busy as actual bees. The video also says that these birds can be prey for spiders, but I read elsewhere that they eat spiders too. The circle of life!

 

 

Not quite as busy as a bee,

Bee Hummingbirds buzz busily,

Visiting in a single day

A thousand flowers on their way

For energetic food to eat:

A thousand flowers full of sweet.

 

©Ruth Bowen Hersey 

 


 

 

No comments: