Sunday, September 10, 2006

9/11 Memorials

Tomorrow, as everyone knows, is the fifth anniversary of September 11th, 2001.

Here is a link to the list of participants in 2,996, a project to have a blogger post a memorial to each one of the people who lost their lives in the terrorist attacks. Some of the tributes are already up, and the rest should be there tomorrow.

When 9/11 happened, I was recovering from a miscarriage. I had lost my second child at eight weeks gestation three months before and I was grieving. The recent loss I'd experienced made me more sensitive to loss than usual - I was overwhelmed with the sadness and suffering of so many families all at once. And the realization that every single person was someone's baby, loved and treasured and missed forever.

I think it is wonderful to remember each one of these people so personally. I wish the same would be done for those who died in conflicts and senseless violence everywhere. Because no matter where someone was born, people matter and they are precious.

Perhaps this is a start.

No comments: