Sunday, May 13, 2007

Happy Mother's Day

Last year on American Mother's Day I posted some information on how people around the world celebrate their mothers. (Hmm, looks like that Hallmark link from last year doesn't work any more. Here's a link with some traditions around the world but it's not as good as the one last year. It doesn't even mention the Ethiopians anointing themselves with butter.)

Today isn't Mother's Day here - it's the last week of May. This next week I'll be doing Nancie Atwell's lesson on Gifts of Writing with my students. She encourages kids to write poems for their mothers rather than buy generic cards containing doggerel written by strangers. I've got two more weeks to work on mine, too!

But for those of you who are celebrating today, have a great day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must admit, I was stopped by the word "doggerel." I'm afraid it is not part of my vocabulary, until I read this post. Google and Wikipedia helped me to learn its meaning. So, thanks for expanding my knowledge by giving me a word for the day.

For those of you who would like to read the meaning of doggerel go to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doggerel

Ruth said...

You're quite welcome. :-)

Anonymous said...

I heard this great poem on Prairie Home Companion a few weeks ago - something about how his mother had given him so much, and all he gave her was a plastic lanyard (made at camp).

Aha, goodsearch reveals that it is titled "The Lanyard" and is by Billy Collins, former poet laureate of the US.

The words can be found here (among many other places on the web):

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4990320

but to hear him read it you could go here

prairiehome.publicradio.org/programs/2007/05/05/

listen to segment 1, Billy Collins starts about 19 minutes into the segment, the poem starts at about 25:50 into the segment.

Ruth said...

I love Billy Collins. I think I've read that one, but I'm going to go read it again. Thanks!