Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Re-reading

I just finished reading The Giver with my eighth graders. I was really disappointed in their reaction to it. Many of them said it was very boring. Some said it didn't make sense. Some said it "sucked." I think all of them hated the ending. When we discussed it, several said that they couldn't understand why Jonas bothered to try to change things - what was the point? As long as he was OK, why should he care?

Sigh.

So I guess that was book #32 for the year.

Now I am re-reading The Kite Runner for my book group. I read it a couple of years ago and liked it, but I remember it being rather harrowing and I'm finding it the same way this time around.

4 comments:

T and T Livesay said...

Hey Ruth-
I am readint the Kite Runner too -- but probably not at the pace you will. And, it is my third book of the year. Sigh.

Do you buy or borrow your books? There are a few you have mentioned that I would be interested in reading if you're interested in loaning your books out.

Tara

Ruth said...

Hey Tara,

Thanks for the comment! I'm emailing you.

Amy said...

Is this the same Lois Lowery who wrote the Anastasia books? This one sounds a whole lot darker than those...

Ruth said...

Yes, same Lois Lowry.