Monday, January 07, 2008

Poems about Kenya

This morning I read this article about Kericho. I was sickened to read about this beautiful place, full of friendly people, suddenly exploding with violence.

Here's a description from the article: "'I begged them to spare me but they showed no mercy,' he said. 'They slashed me with machetes and they hit my back and head until I lost consciousness.'"

This happened in the fields of tea, associated in my memory with homecoming, tranquility, and beauty. All day long I've been thinking about Dr. Bacchus' poem, Chai. It begins:

It grew in the Kericho sun
watered by the rains that swept up from Lake Victoria
every afternoon at 4
like a heavy felt curtain.
Top two leaves and a bud
picked in the pouring rain.
Flapping black raincoats and hats,
bright faces and bright singing.
The emerald of the freshly washed leaves
almost hurts the eye.
Miles of smooth green hills
stretching to the horizon of my mind.

You can read the rest of it here.

Apparently Maria was thinking on the same lines, because she posted this poem today.

Mshairi has been writing poetry too. Here's one about the church burning and this one is called This is the time.

Here's Poetess of the People.

Here's another one from Maria.

Many Kenyan bloggers have posted all or part of the Kenyan national anthem, as I did last week.

If I find any more poems, I'll add them to this post.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's an AP article by Elizabeth Kennedy in the paper this morning that sounds almost hopeful: "Kenya's president and his chief rival made key concessions Monday to end their election dispute, calling off protests and agreeing to talks under pressure from the US..." Maybe things are beginning to turn?

I probably should have realized Kenya's importance to the US, but I didn't, really. The same article says "Kenya is crucial to the US war on terrorism," and that it's a recipient of major US aid.

Ruth said...

I'd like to think things are getting better, but I don't know. Here's what happened today. I read reports of rioting after this news came out.

Tricia said...

Love the new look of the blog. I'm keeping Kenya and her people in my prayers.