Friday, May 16, 2008

Poetry Friday - Summer

I'm getting lots of poems about summer from my kids right now - they are just barely hanging on for the last three weeks of school. Their minds are not here, but in the freedom and excitement of summer.

Here's one I like to read with them. I love the way it personifies summer as a tousled, active girl, and I especially love the ending.


Reading: Summer

Summer is with it,
she's wild,
she likes
bare legs and cutoffs
and camping
and hikes;
she dives in deep water,
she wades in a stream,
she guzzles cold drinks
and she drowns in ice cream;

...

she tastes the warm air
on the end of her tongue,

and she falls asleep
reading
alone
in the sun.

Myra Cohn Livingston

I left out the middle for copyright reasons but you can read the whole thing here.

And here's this week's roundup.

No comments: