Sunday, April 04, 2010

Easter

Easter is not about tears, and mostly, I was able to stay dry-eyed in church this morning. There's nothing wrong with tears, I know, and sometimes they are cathartic, but I have come to dread that loss of control in public, where I get started crying and can't stop.

There was a moment in the Bible reading when the words "a violent earthquake" were uttered and my son threw himself at me with a gasp, and said, "Don't remind me!" The other thing that made me emotional was watching the people go back to their seats after Communion, and the realization that God's love, and the power of Christ's resurrection, is there for all of us. All of us, no matter what is going on in our lives or what our past is or what unusual quirks we have.

The weather was mostly gorgeous this weekend. Saturday morning was breathtaking - I told my daughter it must be the most beautiful morning in the history of the world. The two of us went out for a walk and enjoyed it. People were cutting their grass and the flowering trees were at their best and the sun was shining. I never miss the seasons when I am in Haiti but they certainly are lovely.

I also got to spend quite a bit of time with family this weekend: my parents, and my brothers and their families. Definitely one of the advantages of being here now. Yesterday some of us colored eggs and we took the kids to an Easter Egg Hunt. There was a huge rabbit, which had a fierce expression and was generally quite alarming. It began the hunt by waving its --- arms? legs? paws? There was a free-for-all which I felt sure would end in tears, but somehow didn't, at least not from any of our kids. Then we discovered that my son had won a prize so he took his ticket up to claim it. Apparently nothing says Easter like action figures with heavy weapons.



Someone told me after the service this morning that I looked "well and happy." I'll take it.

1 comment:

Tricia said...

Apparently nothing says Easter like action figures with heavy weapons.

I was laughing at myself yesterday - I bought 3 foam swords for my guys (because lately they're doing battle with big sticks), and realized the irony of getting swords in the season of the Prince of Peace...