Friday, March 01, 2013

Poetry Friday: Superbly Situated

I celebrated my birthday this week, and received a flurry of Facebook messages from people I normally don't hear from much. I love all the reminders of the different times in my life when these people entered my world, and I love the feeling of being loved. This poem caught my eye with its examination of why people love us; later in the poem, Hershon's persona frets that whatever the lover sees in him can always change; he wants a love that does not "alter when it alteration finds." Me too. I have been very blessed with people that love me in spite of the way I am. 

Superbly Situated
by Robert Hershon
   
you politely ask me not to die and i promise not to   
right from the beginning—a relationship based on   
good sense and thoughtfulness in little things

i would like to be loved for such simple attainments   
as breathing regularly and not falling down too often   
or because my eyes are brown or my father left-handed

The rest of the poem is here.

Here's some information about the poet and here's today's Poetry Friday roundup.

6 comments:

Bridget Magee said...

Happy Birthday! Hershon's poem is a poignant reminder of the power of love. I especially like the line:
"i would like to be loved for such simple attainments
as breathing regularly and not falling down too often"
Thanks for sharing!

jama said...

Such a great poem, Ruth. Happy belated birthday!!

Tara @ A Teaching Life said...

" .....a relationship based on
good sense and thoughtfulness in little things"
Oh, I do love that....and it so true,too, which I realize after 28 years of married life. And happy birthday!

Linda B said...

Your poems often touch me, Ruth. This is a lovely sentiment, & what people would often wish, I think. Thanks for finding and sharing such a great poem!

Steve Peterson said...

Happy birthday (late) and a thank you for such a wonderful poem. As a guy with big feet that are none-too-coordinated, I loved the "not falling down too often" line, but also the idea of the moron who plots

"to tear down the empire state building and replace it
with a block of staten island mother/daughter houses"

Thanks!

Janet said...

I've come back to reread this a few times. Thanks for sharing it!