Friday, March 07, 2014

Poetry Friday: Today

My much-anticipated week off is almost over, and on Monday I go back to the week of a million due dates.  Next weekend I will be buried in student writing to read.

Meanwhile, it's the last weekday of my spring (Carnival) break, and today is a perfect day.

Today
Billy Collins
 
If ever there were a spring day so perfect,
so uplifted by a warm intermittent breeze

that it made you want to throw
open all the windows in the house

and unlatch the door to the canary's cage,
indeed, rip the little door from its jamb, 
 
 
And here's today's roundup.

7 comments:

jama said...

Hah -- fun Collins poem. What a mind!

Glad you've been enjoying your time off. Have a good weekend!

Cathy said...

Billy Collins is one of my favorite poets. Isn't funny how just the thought of spring makes us feel free. I can't wait!

Cathy

GatheringBooks said...

I love Billy Collins! I have yet to find his latest book, your post reminded me of it. :) Thanks for sharing this Ruth!

Mary Lee said...

I saw your link and said a little YAY! Billy Collins!! We haven't had one of these days yet, but when we do, I'll smash the snow globe!

Mary Lee said...

PS -- love your description of the return to school after break!! Here's hoping you can hold onto some of the calm and relaxation for a few more months!

Linda B said...

Hope it was a fabulous week off, Ruth. The poem is wonderful. I know others of his poems, but not this one! Thank you!

Michelle Heidenrich Barnes said...

Billy Collins is always a breath of fresh air himself, isn't he? Thanks for sharing this, Ruth. I hope you are able to carry this mood into next week!