Friday, January 22, 2016

Poetry Friday: Raymond Carver

With the OLW that I chose this year, LOVED, this Raymond Carver poem is a must:

Late Fragment

And did you get what
you wanted from this life, even so?
I did.
And what did you want?
To call myself beloved, to feel myself
beloved on the earth.


I found other Raymond Carver I liked, too.  Here's his poem "Happiness," and here's "Grief."  Both describe little moments.  And here's "Another Mystery," about death and becoming the oldest generation of your family. 

I think I like that little short one the best, though.  "To call myself beloved, to feel myself beloved."

The roundup is here today.

7 comments:

jama said...

That little poem says everything, doesn't it? Truly, nothing matters more. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

"even so"...those are the poet's most haunting words for me. Thank you for reminding me that despite everything, belovedness is worth infinitely more than the last sought-after fragment. Thank you so much for introducing me to a poet, I suspect, who has much to say to me this day and in the future. ...Reminds me, too, that I need to revisit Henri Nouwen's "Life of the Beloved." God bless you!

Linda B said...

This is lovely, Ruth, and the others, too. I think I might share it another time with my friends, too. Those little things are good for us. Thanks so much.

Tara said...

This reminds me, in terms of meaning, with Mary Oliver's The Summer Day...the essential questions. Thanks, Ruth - you always give me something to think about.

Tabatha said...

Just read "Another Mystery" -- quite sobering, clearly the work of a talented poet.
Thanks, beloved!

Violet N. said...

I love how everyone seems to pick one little words that are suitable for their situations. Perhaps sometimes we are our own best medicine! I followed the link to the Bessey article. She sure spells it out, doesn't she? It's good to be reminded.

Carol Varsalona said...

I sit here after reading these poems and contemplate on the meaning of life. Do we think about such a line during our days=>"To call myself beloved, to feel myself beloved."???