Thursday, April 25, 2019

Poetry Friday: Dreams Deferred (NPM: Day 26)

This month for National Poetry Month, I have been sharing links that are already open on my desktop. Today's post comes more from what's been happening in my classroom, though the poem I'm sharing is open on my desk, in a file called "Poems to Memorize for Seventh Grade." (I wrote about that here.) This week someone recited the following poem:

Harlem

What happens to a dream deferred?

Does it dry up

like a raisin in the sun?

Or fester like a sore—

And then run?

Does it stink like rotten meat?

Or crust and sugar over—

like a syrupy sweet?

Maybe it just sags

like a heavy load.

Or does it explode?

Langston Hughes

I love the very simple, straightforward way Langston Hughes' poems are written (here's another of his I shared earlier in the month). In this one, he piles perfect image on perfect image as he describes what it's like to wish and hope for something and to be continually disappointed.

This week my eighth grade students responded to Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech by writing down some of their own dreams for Haiti. Each student wrote a longer response, but I only chose one sentence to post from each piece.
Some of these dreams have been deferred, and some for a long time. But we keep dreaming. We keep trying. And we hope none of the dreams explode.

Here's what else I posted this week.
On Saturday I posted a prose article that reads like a poem, and found a poem in its lines.  It's about workers in India who make perfume that smells like the rain.
Sunday was Easter, and I posted three poems about the resurrection.
On Monday I posted a John Ashbery poem about what we write about, plus a poem of mine about what I write about.
On Tuesday it was my blog's 13th birthday! Happy birthday to me!
On Wednesday I shared a Louise Glück poem and mused about connections between writing and photography.
On Thursday I linked to some poems about churches, including Notre Dame, and also to an article about grieving buildings.

Today's line for the Progressive Poem is here

April
2 Kat @ Kathryn Apel
4 Jone @ DeoWriter
5 Linda @ TeacherDance
6 Tara @ Going to Walden
8 Mary Lee @ A Year of Reading
9 Rebecca @ Rebecca Herzog
10 Janet F. @ Live Your Poem
12 Margaret @ Reflections on the Teche
13 Doraine @ Dori Reads
17 Amy @ The Poem Farm
18 Linda @ A Word Edgewise
20 Buffy @ Buffy's Blog
21 Michelle @ Michelle Kogan
22 Catherine @ Reading to the Core
25 Jan @ Bookseedstudio
26 Linda @ Write Time
27 Sheila @ Sheila Renfro
29 Irene @ Live Your Poem
30 Donna @ Mainely Write

Today's Poetry Friday roundup is here.  

16 comments:

Linda Mitchell said...

Ruth, these dreams....focused into one sentence...are beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing them. I'm sorry they are deferred. I hope and pray not for long.

Carol Varsalona said...

Ruth, your students' dreams for Haiti pierced my heart with sadness yet there is hope in their one sentence posts. Perhaps, their dreams will become a reality one day. Here's to hoping!

Linda B said...

Thank you for sharing those dreams from your students, those who need to be fulfilled! They wrote with heart, hoping and dreaming for better, something every one of us should dream.

laurasalas said...

Ruth, these powerful dreams are so basic, and so sad. Food. Cleanliness. Safety. Kids should not have to dream of these things. They should have them. Thank you for giving your students space to dream and express themselves.

JoAnn Early Macken said...

Your students' sentences are simple and straightforward, too--and they describe specific wishes for things that so many of us take for granted. Everyone deserves access to food and education and a safe, clean environment to live in. I hope they don't have to wait much longer.

Cheriee Weichel said...

Your student's poems for Haiti break my heart. I hope their dreams are realized and not deferred.

Linda said...

Ruth, these dreams touched my heart. Thank you for honoring them with a place to express their dreams. I am a huge fan of Langston Hughes for the same reasons you mentioned. I used to keep a copy of his "Dreams" posted in my classroom.

Liz Steinglass said...

What a beautiful thing for you all to do--sharing your dreams for Haiti. I imagine that's a moment that will stay with them for a very long time.

Michelle Heidenrich Barnes said...

All those dreams presented together like that is a powerful statement. I truly hope it is one that can help spark change for the better.

Mary Lee said...

Oh, my heart! These dreams look like a stained glass window, and it a way it seems holy that you captured their thinking so beautifully -- deferred or not, KEEP DREAMING! (and working to make them come true...)

Whispers from the Ridge said...

These dreams are beautiful. They will never die as long as we continue to have hope, the kind of hope your students have in their words and hearts. Thank you for sharing!

Alice Nine said...

I read your students' dream statements and immediately thought of Habakuk 2:2--
“Write the vision / And make it plain on tablets, / That he may run who reads it." There is hope in the dreams of your students, and in the writing of their dreams, they are making their dreams plain so all who read may "run." And in the running may they find the fulfillment. The writing, Ruth, is a first step. Blessings!

KatApel - katswhiskers.wordpress.com said...

So much wisdom! I hope they hold onto their dreams and chase them into reality.

Molly Hogan said...

There's so much power in the combination of your students' dreams into one poem. Their simple statements pierce through all the rhetoric and posturing and get to the heart of it all, rather like Langston Hughes' poetry. Thanks for sharing and for giving your students a voice.

Kay said...

Hughes' poem was one of the first I memorized in my quest to learn more poems by heart. I find it speaks so much to today as well as to his time. Your 8th graders have some powerful dreams. I hope they will continue to work to make them a reality even though they have been deferred for too long.

Tabatha said...

Powerful project, Ruth. (Better teachers, eh? They certainly have a top-notch one in you, Miss.)