Thursday, April 11, 2019

NPM: Day 11

One day recently, I was heading back to my classroom after lunch, and I heard an elementary child sobbing on the playground. I don't teach the elementary students, and I didn't know this one, but I rushed over because he sounded so heartbroken. When I asked him what was wrong, he wailed, "I lost a friend! I lost a friend!" When I asked him more questions, he gave me a long explanation that I in no way understood. I suggested a few things he might try to repair the friendship, like talk to his friend again, or maybe see if things were better after the weekend, and he seemed to calm down some. I don't know how this ended, but as he told me his confused story of what had happened, even though I couldn't follow it at all, I felt tears come to my eyes because I know how very painful it is, at any age, to lose a friend.

This Langston Hughes poem is a perfect one. My students can relate to it, and so can I. I've had this article recommending it as "Poetry Rx" open in my tabs for a long time.

Graphic from The Paris Review

I loved my friend.
He went away from me.
There’s nothing more to say.
The poem ends,
Soft as it began—
I loved my friend.

Langston Hughes

Today's Progressive Poem line is here.

2 comments:

Tabatha said...

I was touched by your story, Ruth. (I had hoped, at first, that perhaps he misplaced a bear or other cuddly friend that might be easier to re-obtain.)
You reminded me of The Poetry Pharmacy: https://www.penguin.co.uk/books/306/306569/the-poetry-pharmacy/9781846149542.html

Linda B said...

I think he was lucky that you happened to be there and offered him some comfort. Both my granddaughters have come home at one time or another saying that someone told them they would not be friends any more, heart-breaking. The poem is just right, isn't it? Thanks, Tabatha for the link, too!