Friday, October 11, 2019

Poetry Friday: Fire

Today I will stay home and grade student assignments and send out encouraging notes and work on cheerfulness because things could be much worse. Four weeks of lockdown here in Haiti, but I haven't been hungry and the weather is lovely. Nobody is dropping bombs on me, and that's not something everyone can say. We even got to have two half-days of school this week (and they were wonderful).

And yet...

Usually I have an idea about midweek of what I want to post for Poetry Friday, but this week I woke Friday morning not knowing. I went to Poetry Foundation to find something. Let's see, how am I feeling today, I asked my fingers, and they idly typed in: "Anger." "Rage." "Fire."

Whoa.

So anyway, here's a poem I found to post.

Fire and Ice
Robert Frost

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

Here is a poem I wrote called "Fire." I wrote it during another time of unrest in Haiti.

Here is today's roundup.

9 comments:

jama said...

Sorry about the lockdown but glad you did have a couple days of school this past week. Your poem "Fire" is intense and powerful. Hope things get better soon.

Linda B said...

I thought when I saw you had a half-day that you were back to school, Ruth. Sorry to hear that isn't so. I'm glad you are safe, and know others are having worse times, but I am thinking of you and hoping for Haiti to come to peaceful times. I know Fire and Ice, but was not blogging when you wrote the other poem, though I remember your posting about fire in your street, tires, perhaps? It's a powerful poem that shows anger, like a stomping child. Wishing you better days!

Catherine Flynn said...

Anger and rage do seem to be prevalent emotions lately. I'm sorry about all that is going on in Haiti. Like Jama, I hope the situation improves soon.

Michelle Heidenrich Barnes said...

A 4-week lockdown sounds rough, Ruth. No doubt your positive attitude and resilience will see you through!

Molly Hogan said...

I've been thinking about you a lot, wondering how things are. I'm so sorry that these are still such tumultuous times in Haitii. I'm glad you were able to have half days with students, but can't imagine the stress of 4 weeks on lockdown. It sounds like you're maintaining a positive attitude. Take care of yourself!

Kimberly Hutmacher said...

Ruth, this poem is poignant andd intense. I'm so sorry for the state of things in Haiti right now. I pray that things settle soon, and that you'll be back in te classroom regularly with your kiddos.

Kay said...

I can't imagine what living through four weeks of lock down must be like. I am glad you have been safe and that you got to connect with your students face to face for at least a couple of half days. I hope that the fire and rage will burn out and lead to new growth.

Heidi Mordhorst said...

Ruth, two poems of icy reality and fiery sadness. I have some cheerfulness to spare, so I'm sending it your way. Where's a good place to read about what's going on? Our media is not covering you. Lots of love and power...

Ruth said...

Heidi, the Miami Herald is a pretty good place to start - they tend to cover Haitian news. Edwidge Danticat had an article in the New Yorker the other day that summed up some background. Thanks for caring!