Friday, October 30, 2020

Poetry Friday: This Poem is a Nest, by Irene Latham

I’m not sure how many reviews of Irene Latham’s new book This Poem is a Nest I had to read before I decided I had to order the book. I’m pretty sure I wanted it after the first one. Now that my copy has come in the mail, and I’ve read the whole thing, I decided that I need to write my own review. (And here's an interview with Johanna Wright, who drew the lovely pictures.)

I already own several of Irene’s books (here's a post about her I wrote for National Poetry Month last year, including links to several reviews of her work). One thing I love about her writing is how it always inspires me to try some of the same things she’s doing. And this one was no exception. After telling you about the book, I’m going to share some of my own efforts at nestlings.

Irene starts this book with a long poem called “Nest.” It explores the four seasons of a birds’ nest. In spring the nest houses baby birds, in summer it watches young robins fly away, in autumn it overlooks deer and a turtle, and in winter a mouse moves in. Each season is full of memorable language and perfectly chosen words. And it’s those perfectly chosen words that lead us to the next section of the book, when Irene presents 161 found poems using those words from “Nest.”

All I can say is wow as I look through the variety of subjects she’s found in her own writing. She writes of times of day, months (all twelve), colors, planets, emotions. She writes alphabet poems and a whole “Ars Poetica” section. This is a tour de force, ideal for sharing with a class of just about any age, and fun to read for an adult, too. She calls these found poems “nestlings,” and at the end, there’s a three page section of tips for writing your own.

 

Here are a couple of examples of Irene's nestlings:


 

I loved the idea. First, I was fascinated that you could find poems in one of your own poems. I tried it. And then, I tried finding one in Irene’s “Nest,” with its evocative words.

I picked this one of mine, written last summer after my husband and I took an anniversary trip while visiting family and friends in Kentucky.


30th Anniversary

When we were newlyweds,
we went to the cemetery.
Remember?
We just had two weekends for our honeymoon
with our first week of graduate school in between,
and when we wanted to see at least one tourist sight in Frankfort,
we found everything closed.
So we visited the floral clock behind the Capitol building
and we walked around among the dead.

Daniel Boone’s grave overlooks the Kentucky River,
a proud monument with scenes of his exploits on three sides,
and then on the back,
with no view of the river,
his wife Rebecca, mother of ten,
can be seen milking a cow.

Daniel and Rebecca are surrounded by other graves,
two hundred years’ worth.
There’s a monument devoted to Kentucky soldiers,
and the Civil War tombs
house both northern and southern boys.

Thirty years later,
we went back to recreate our honeymoon.
We drove around looking for familiar sights,
revisited the floral clock,
found the bed and breakfast where we stayed
(you remembered the blue stained glass window),
ate fish at the same restaurant by the river.

And yes,
we stopped by the cemetery.
We took pictures this time:
the river,
American flags, Confederate flags,
monuments of all eras,
Daniel and Rebecca Boone’s spot.

I don’t remember if back then,
young as we were,
we discussed thinking about
death on our honeymoon,
whether either of us made the obvious remark
that one day one of us would bury the other.
 
We’re both grayer in our riverside anniversary selfie
than we were in our wedding photos
(though you were already bald when I married you).
Thirty years have given us plenty
to be happy and sad about,
births and deaths and earthquakes and Caribbean adventures.

I hope we have another thirty years to love each other,
to remember the promises we made on that steamy August afternoon,
and that long-ago walk in the cemetery,
and the blue light in our honeymoon suite.

Ruth, thereisnosuchthingasagodforsakentown.blogspot.com





I wrote two nestlings from this poem. First I just chose words, and then in the second one, I tried Irene’s alphabet technique of writing down all the words starting with a particular letter in the poem (in my case, A), and then taking out the ones that didn’t go together. Both of my nestlings really fit in with the original topic of the poem, so I didn’t achieve Irene’s variety at all.


Newlywed
weekends
we walked,
surrounded
by adventures,
love -
remember?



Anniversary
and
adventures -
August
afternoon.


Then I tried writing a nestling from Irene’s poem, “Nest.” I picked one word from each section of the poem to write my own four word nestling.


Blue seaglass,
imagine boat.


You should buy Irene's wonderful book! Read it and use it to inspire your writing!


The lovely Linda at TeacherDance has today's roundup.

17 comments:

jan godown annino said...

O the mood, the love, the memories I feel I'm visiting, dear Ruth. Appreciations for this trip to the river, to the 2 anniversary times, to your heart. And you hubby must be so adoring of this piece (if you show it to him.)

I love how Irene's new poetry collection (of four this year!) has gifted you this way. I don't have it, it's on my favorites list & I have loved every review of it, but this one is shimmering.

Linda B said...

I love your anniversary poem, Ruth. You've reminded me of my own honeymoon where we married, took one weekend, then returned for finals at our university. I love Irene's Nest, too, hope it will end up in as many classrooms as possible. My older granddaughter & I have written our own "nestlings" though I haven't posted them, but wanted to show her the possibilities in the idea. And I love what you've written from your own poem, like punctuation marks for remembering that special wedding day. Thanks for the lovely post about Nest & about your own "nesting".

Bridget Magee said...

So much love nestled in these poems, Ruth. Thank you for highlighting Irene's brilliant book and sharing your heart with us. :)

jama said...

Thanks for sharing about this book. Enjoyed your anniversary poem and the nestlings that came from it. It's such a brilliant concept, isn't it? I'm looking forward to reading Nestlings -- happy that I just won a copy at Jone's blog. :)

Carol Varsalona said...

Your post was filled with poetic goodness, Ruth. Congratulations on your anniversary poem and photos. It became the nest for your sweet nestlings filled with love and you did not stop there. There was another nestling. Thank you for sharing your delight.

michelle kogan said...

Rich review of Irene's book, and what wonderful poems came about from your reading it!
An anniversary-journey poem encapsulated so succinctly in your newly spawned nestlings–with such lovely rhythms, and I'd like a ride in that "imagine boat" by the "Blue seaglass," Thanks!

Susan Bruck said...

Thank you for sharing so much wonderfulness in this post. I love the poems you shared from Nestings--especially the snail one.
And your anniversary poem and the nesting poems from it--all of them are lovely and so loving. They warmed my heart!

Irene Latham said...

Dear Ruth - what an honor and pleasure to read this post! Thank you for your kind words about NEST, and thank you for sharing your anniversary/river nest and the resulting nestlings, which are lovely! I love that August afternoon and that seaglass. Truly, every poem is a playground, and what fun it is to spin around in them for a while... I'm glad you like the Ars Poetica section, too... so much fun to write about writing!! xo

Linda Mitchell said...

I know, right? If Irene's book doesn't win awards, I will eat my hat! The idea, the beautiful design and the words are such a feast. It makes you feel like writing, just reading it. I love how you found some poems from your past work...This makes me feel like doing that right now too. Thanks for reviewing it and putting the poem-ing into practice. I really enjoy all the beautiful ways this book has been reviewed.

Robyn Hood Black said...

So. Much. To. Love. in this post, Ruth - thanks for sharing (re-sharing) your beautiful poem and the pictures... I love exploring old cemeteries. And your post is a wonderful lesson in itself in ways to be inspired by Irene's amazing new book. (Thanks to Irene, too, for this treasure.) Your own found-poem creations sing like birds!

Mary Lee said...

Your nest and nestlings are all kinds of fabulous. I had the same experience you did when I tried it. Irene makes it look effortless, but it's HARD!

Janice Scully said...

I did get Irene's book and love it. I found I appreciated Irene'e craft even more after I tried writing nestlings myself. Great post!

Kimberly Hutmacher said...

I can't wait to read all of Irene's collection myself. Your nestlings are beautiful.

laurasalas said...

I love your adventures here! It's hard to make a found poem radically different from the original nest. Especially if you wrote the nest and know all the emotions and memories attached to it. I just bought Irene's book this week. Haven't had a chance to read it yet--not a quiet moment here. But I'll be nestling into it soon. I love all your nestlings!

Buffy Silverman said...

Irene's book is such an inspiration--amazing how far and wide those nestlings can fly from the nest! And how cool that you've found some nestlings in your anniversary poem. A way to relive and enjoy again.

Michelle Heidenrich Barnes said...

Thank you for paying the inspiration forward. It's definitely contagious!

author amok said...

Hi, Ruth! That snail is one of my favorite poems in Irene's book. Isn't it fun to try your own nestling? Your alliterative one is lovely (our anniversary is also in August!)