Monday, October 14, 2024

Birdtober Day Fourteen: Crow

I have six species on my life list with "Crow" in their names. (Plus some other corvids - did you know jays are related to crows?) In this post you can read a poem I wrote about the White-necked Crow in Haiti. When I started noticing these birds, I had already lived in Haiti for many years, and I absolutely couldn't believe that I'd never noticed them before, mainly because they are so very loud (listen to the sound in the video below). How did I miss them? I have no idea. Like the Golden Swallow, this species is an island endemic, and can only be found on Hispaniola, the island shared by Haiti and the Dominican Republic. The first thing you're likely to wonder about in the picture below is that it doesn't have a white neck; that's strictly part of the bird's breeding plumage. Then you might see the bright red eye.


Photo Source: eBird.com


The White-necked Crow Speaks

 

How unaware do you have to be, Human,
not to notice an enormous black bird
with staring red eyes
and a very loud, squawking call?
What do I have to do to make you look up at me?
Here I am.
Corvus leucognaphalus.
Pleased to meet you.

 

©Ruth Bowen Hersey

 







No comments: