Wednesday, October 09, 2024

Birdtober Day Ten: Speckled Mousebird

In keeping with today's mouse theme (the US prompt is Tufted Titmouse), the Ugandan prompt is the Speckled Mousebird. You can see why someone thought it resembled a mouse, with its hairy-looking head and long tail. I also read that they like roosting close together, similar to the way mice cuddle.  I have to say I find them much more appealing than mice, especially when the mice are in my house.

Fuzzy Mousebird in the tree,
You are not annoying me.
You don’t get inside my house
Like the other kind of mouse.
You just cutely fly around,
Sometimes hanging upside down.
Your hair on end and bright wide eyes
Make you look a bit surprised.
Fuzzy Mousebird in the tree,
You are not annoying me. 


©Ruth Bowen Hersey




No comments: