Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Lots and lots of toast

In Sunday School my kids sing a song that says,"Come and go with me to my Father's house." It describes Heaven as a very kid-friendly place. There are lots and lots of rooms, a table with lots of food, and of course plenty of room to play football.

Somehow my 3-year-old got the idea that on that "big big table" there was "lots and lots of toast." When I asked him what toast was, he didn't even know. We don't eat toast at our house, because making toast requires electricity, which we rarely have at breakfast time. Our alternative power source can't handle a toaster. Maybe he thinks of it as some kind of ineffable treat, like manna or Turkish delight.

Well, whatever it is, he's expecting it in Heaven.

4 comments:

Bridget said...

That is HILARIOUS. HA!

Andy Bowen said...

I was interested to see that the Spanish subtitles and dubbing of "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" translated "Turkish Delight" as "Golosinas". I remember how mysterious, exotic, and wonderful "Turkish Delight" seemed to me in third grade. Edmund was eating something both forbidden and deeply desirable. There must be a reason Lewis chose that term, though I wonder if Turkish Delight was something less mysterious to children in England in the 1940's and 50's.

So I was a bit disappointed with the choice by translators to use the word "golosinas" which just means "sweets" and is decidedly quotidian. For some reason, in the scene where Aslan is killed, every time the English says, "He's dead," the Spanish says, "He has gone away." What kind of translators' agenda does that reflect?

I was even sorrier for their choice for Aslan's pronouncement at the end of the battle (which I don't actually remember from the book--I'll have to go back and check), "It is finished." In the dubbing, the Spanish is, if I recall, "Todo terminó," which means, "It's all over." Now, while this does carry the literal meaning of the original, it completely misses the Biblical echo that seems to be intended. Granted, the Spanish "Consumado es," which could be translated "Comsummated it is," would sound a bit heavy and awkward. Still, it underscores what a dreadful job is generally done with movie dubbing and subtitles into Spanish. I'm amazed that Latins continue to flock to see American films. Could it be they're paying attention to something other than the dialog? Surely not!

Ruth said...

I haven't seen the movie yet - can't wait!

Ruth said...

I just checked in the book, and it looks as though Aslan doesn't say "It is finished."