Thursday, August 31, 2006

Quit Looking at Me!

I come from a culture where it's rude to stare. I live in a culture where it isn't. Not only that, but I have a different skin color from the majority of the people who live here and I behave oddly - not on purpose, but just by virtue of my foreign-ness.

Once, I was walking down the street carrying my baby, and a car full of young men pulled to a halt so that the passengers could stare at me, slack-jawed, until I had walked past. Often, as I emerge from my gate, groups of schoolchildren or even adults stop and gaze.

I assure you that the reason that I draw all this attention is not my great beauty. Sometimes I feel as though I was put on this earth to entertain passers-by by my very existence.

When I'm in the States, I enjoy just walking along, blending in, not being noticed.

No comments: