Monday, March 12, 2007

Why Teenagers Have Mood Swings

While at first you might say "duh" to the headline - "Biological Basis for Teenage Mood Swings Found" - this is a very interesting article. I was a little horrified by this phrase, though - "the study opens a door to drug development to help counteract the more severe mood swings." Though the article goes on to say that the main focus is helping adults understand why this typical adolescent behavior occurs, it scares me to think that we may take a normal human process and treat it with drugs. Any kind of discomfort or negative emotion will soon be able to be dealt with medicinally. Does this worry anybody else? While it may start with the "more severe" cases, these things seem to trickle down quickly to the point where anybody feeling a little grumpy gets a prescription.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We watched a movie just recently called "Equilibrium." It was disappointing, to say the least. They could have done a LOT more with the ideas in it, but missed the opportunity.

But the premise was just that - that human emotion is the source of all of our problems, so let's eliminate it with drugs.

Fascinating concept. Shame the muffed it.

T and T Livesay said...

uh, yeah ... we over-medicate as it is --- to medicate puberty and teen angst is RIDICULOUS. If they did that I would not have had my bonding momment with Paige tonight because she would not have had her teen melt-down. Sad.

hugs to you ---- no class at B's anymore so I won't see you as I had thought I might ... I MUST fill you in. The teacher went home.