Friday, March 02, 2007

War and Peace Arrives!

Back in January, I was whining about not being able to find a copy of War and Peace. Matsu very generously offered to send me a copy. It arrived today! It spent a little time in Customs - perhaps being read by the officials - who knows?

My reading has slowed down lately due to all the grading I've had, and also, I confess, our newfound addiction to 24 (we've been watching the DVDs of the first and then second seasons). There's nothing like a good dose of improbability at the end of the day. Right now I am in the middle of The Boleyn Inheritance. But as soon as I finish it, probably this weekend, I am planning to embark on War and Peace. Hooray!

Probably there aren't too many blog posts out there which mention both 24 and War and Peace.

Thanks, Matsu!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ruth, I am very glad you recived the shipment.

Last year we purchased a used copy of the first season of 24 and decided that we would not buy the second season because it's too hard not to keep watching it. We watched sevaral episodes in a sitting. Too much! But, I must admit, I keep an eye out for the second season at stores that sell used DVD's. I will probably break down and buy the second season, anyway.

I hope that War and Peace will keep you busy for a day or two. (grin)

Unknown said...

My copy never did arrive. I ordered it back in December, and in spite of numerous email messages to the seller, it just never showed up.

Andy Bowen said...

How do you like the second season? Watching that season cured us of any desire to see 24. I felt compelled to keep watching long after I had passed from boredom to irritation because I had to have some resolution. It could easily have ended after 10 hours! The following 10 hours seemed contrived only to stretch the program another 10 episodes.

Ruth said...

Well, Andy, I must confess it is getting a trifle comical. WHAT will happen next to these incredibly accident-prone people? And the torture scenes are a bit much. They seem to dwell on them lovingly.

Even so, I have to know what's going to happen and how Jack can get out of absolutely any situation!

Anonymous said...

Like Andy, the second season cured me of my 24 obsession (we were watching it on DVD). I was quite intrigued by the set-up for season 3 at the end of S2, but not enough to actually watch it!

What we're expecting now is a post that analyzes either 24 or War & Peace from the context of the other. You are, after all, a literature teacher, right? :^)

Ruth said...

Heh, Tricia, now there's a challenge! Something tells me that War and Peace will be a bit more subtle than 24. And I think there won't be as many people saying, "I'm on it." (How come nobody ever says that to me? When I ask people to do things they look at me blankly and just do something quite different.)

Anonymous said...

There are probably considerably fewer cell phones in War & Peace! My husband and I were convinced that show "worked" only because of cell phones.