Thursday, November 15, 2007

Long Week

I started out this month thinking I'd participate in NaBloPoMo. You know, that thing where those of us who wish we could do National Novel Writing Month (but realize we won't have the discipline) decide we'll at least post on our blogs every day in November. I didn't put the little logo on my blog, first of all because I wasn't sure how, and secondly because I secretly thought I would probably be an ignominious failure. Well, it's good to be right about something, anyway. After the first few days I was back to posting links to other people's sites, and then I stopped posting altogether when this week started.

Spirit Week.

It's allegedly there to pump up school spirit, but I think it's just a plot to keep us from teaching anything. I try to keep quiet about this theory because it makes me feel like such a spoilsport, but honestly, as the week goes on, and chaos takes over more and more, I long for the end of Friday. This week we had a different dress-up theme every day (pretty heady stuff for our usually uniform-clad kids) and freshman initiation going on (middle schoolers don't participate but are very much aware of the craziness).

At home we're reading aloud The Silver Chair. Today Puddleglum was introduced, and I thought, yeah, that's me this week. Tomorrow we have a pep rally. Pep. My favorite thing.

However, I am trying to keep my glumness to myself, because the kids are having so much fun, and, as I said, I don't like to be a spoilsport. So I have even been participating in the dress-up days, at least the ones which I feel I can do without making more of an fool of myself than I'm comfortable with when I'm trying to be the grownup and maintain some semblance of order in my classroom. So that would be...let's see...today's. It was "Wannabe Day" so I wore jeans and a brightly flowered shirt, and said, "I wannabe on vacation." Tomorrow we're supposed to dress in school colors, and of course I'll do that too.

I think everybody needed this light-hearted week after all the sorrow we've just been through, and since K. was involved in planning this week, it's kind of a tribute to her, too. I had told her of my dislike for Spirit Week just shortly before she died, and we had laughed about it. We're all a bit emotionally overwrought these days, between the grief and the foolishness.

7 comments:

Bridget said...

Ruth, I am so there with you on spirit week. Who thought it was a good idea to take middle schoolers, who on a good day can barely control their hormone and otherwise driven impulses, and ask them to participate in a week that's all about excessive emotion?

When I was teaching I never dared speak up, but I was totally being a spoilsport in my head too. :)

Ruth said...

Yeah, I think it's the majority opinion, at least among the middle school teachers. I have the kids for blocks of two periods, and if they are unusually wound up, it ends up being pretty hard to handle. If I play games with them, it's worse.

Anonymous said...

We're continuing on roughly the same schedule in the Narnia books~we just finished 'SC' yesterday. Puddleglum is the hero of the story. So hooray for the spoilsports...

Ruth said...

Puddleglum is one of my favorite characters in the whole series. But his outlook on life is probably not one I want to emulate. I do find myself having a very Puddleglum-esque view of things pretty often, though.

Anonymous said...

Isn't your school K-12? If so, it makes sense logistically that they can't just leave out the middle schoolers for the excessive emotion pieces...

Anyway, about this;
I didn't put the little logo on my blog, first of all because I wasn't sure how, and secondly because I secretly thought I would probably be an ignominious failure. Well, it's good to be right about something, anyway.
Hey, don't be so hard on yourself! There's nothing ignominious in not knowing how to link in a logo. :^)

Ruth said...

Hey Tricia,

No, I meant I thought I'd be an ignominious failure at NaBloPoMo, because you're supposed to post every day, and I knew I probably wouldn't. :-)

Yeah, we can't leave the middle schoolers out, and really, I wouldn't want to, because they have so much fun. As it's just once a year, I can tolerate it.

Anonymous said...

And i'm an ignominious failure at conveying [wait, what is it? irony? can't use the wrong term on the blog of an English teacher... :^]