Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Beginnings are Hard

What a day. I spent much of it becoming more familiar with the options for the care of a sick newborn in this city. And being reminded once again what a cushy life I have, and what a wimp I am.

The story isn't mine to share in such a public place, but there's a baby who could use your prayers tonight, and a mother who has been through an ordeal. And there are so many more in the world who don't have the luxury of a "birth plan" and a "good birth experience" but who just hope to make it through alive and with a living, healthy baby.

Of course my thoughts are never far from Kenya these days, and I thought of the women who have had to give birth in fields during this past month - several news articles have referred to cases, and I'm sure there were many more.

And I am so thankful for my healthy children and the peace and privacy in which I delivered them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't see you as someone who's settled for a "cushy life." Being a caring person in a needy place is neither cushy or wimpy.

So there. :-)

Ruth said...

Thanks. I just know I couldn't hack the life that most women in this country have. Or should I say, most women in the world. :-(

Amy said...

I disagree.

I've rewritten this comment several times, but let's just leave it at that.

If you want more, you can e-mail me.