Saturday, February 02, 2008

Crying for Africa

The African Union summit ended, amid reports of violence from Kenya and now Chad.

"What can we do for Kenya, for the Comoros, for Chad? This is painful for us, as under the eyes of the whole world we kill each other," said Gaddafi.

OK, I know you have preconceived ideas about Gaddafi, and maybe you dismiss his sadness as crocodile tears. I have no way of knowing how sincerely he mourns the suffering in his continent, though I hope it is sincere, since he's someone who can do something about some of the problems. But I can assure you that I and millions of others feel what he says he feels.

Then there are those who just find it amusing. Here are some comments on an article in the Houston Chronicle. I guess there's nothing wrong with being happy to live in the US, except that to me it smacks of "Forget about all those people." Another person recommends reading Robert Ruark, otherwise you "don't have a clue" about the situation. I have read Robert Ruark, but I suggest that quite a few things have happened since he wrote his books and I'm disgusted at the commenter's thought of dealing with Africa only in relation to its commodities (wait, that's what the majority of the world already does). Someone else says that the continent has already been flushed down the toilet, giving for evidence that the gang recruiter in the news story they are all commenting on was wearing high heels and designer sunglasses. Someone else makes a mocking remark about how that's not really the de rigueur outfit for a gang recruiter.

Meanwhile, millions of people suffer. The vast majority of them are just living their lives and have nothing to do with causing the problems their continent faces. And the world looks on and says, "Just more Africans killing each other."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those "comment" sections always infuriate me. It doesn't matter the subject. They're an opportunity to vent ignorance.

I sure hope the response overall isn't as callous as it looks in those comments. I think there's a lot of helplessness and sadness in most of us, as well as a sense that the situation is very complex and long in coming.

It would be pretty simplistic to see this situation as a reason to feel complacent about America, given what happens even in America when something bumps the status quo just a little off balance -- as in the LA riots, or after the hurricane in New Orleans.

Ruth said...

You're right - it's not a cross-section of intelligent people, for sure. I saw an article on Christianity Today a couple of weeks ago and the first comment was griping about how African countries were always needing aid. I didn't even keep reading. :-(

I think human beings are pretty similar everywhere, and response to crisis and chaos is often not pretty. Many people take advantage of the situation to do things they might not otherwise do. The examples you gave are good ones.

T and T Livesay said...

Hi Ruth-

Ugh. I am so sad about all of the news out of Kenya, because of you I have followed it on and off for weeks. We just watched Blood Diamond last night ... If you want to see it we have a copy here. Heavy, heavy movie - another story of conflict in Africa, with some really thought-provoking dialoge.

It was great to chat with you today!

tara

Ruth said...

Hi, Tara. Thanks for caring about Kenya. We've seen that movie, and you're right - it was hard to watch. I pray that the chaos in Kenya will not go on and on as it has in Sierra Leone.

Nice chatting with you today, too. I'm really glad Lydia is doing so well.