Monday, November 01, 2010

Reading Update

Book #64 was The Bull from the Sea, the second in a trilogy by Mary Renault about ancient Athens. This one is about Theseus after he gets back from killing the Minotaur.

I read this trilogy when I was in high school, at the recommendation of my Latin teacher. It's surprising to me that I remember nearly nothing about them. I wonder what I made of them at that age. The Bull from the Sea is a fantastic book, with a brilliant mixture of mystical myth and shrewd psychology. The love story between Theseus and Hippolyta is especially beautiful. I think I wasn't ready to read this at 16. Now I'm going to track down the other two books in the trilogy and reread them as well.

This post is linked to the November 6th Saturday Review of Books.

1 comment:

Sherry said...

These books are some of my favorites. I think I like The King Must Die best.