Sunday, December 10, 2006

Eggnog

On NPR this morning there was a great piece on eggnog, and specifically how terrible the storebought stuff is. You can read about it and listen to it here.

I have a very uneducated palate and like the storebought stuff just fine. Every year we buy a little, spending a fortune, since of course it is imported. I've also never had the kind with whisky in it. Last year at a party I had home-made eggnog for the first time, but it was made by a Baptist missionary - no whisky. I am aware enough to realize that it was far superior to the ersatz kind from the supermarket, but I am also enough of a savage that I went right back to my old ways. Yum, bring on the fake eggnog!

I did like one part of the story - Andrea asked whether it was true that eggnog was invented to preserve eggs and cream, and the eggnog expert to whom she was talking said, well, actually, he thought it was more a case of, "Let's do something fun with this stuff before it rots." This is a distinction anyone who has lived without much refrigeration to speak of, like myself, will appreciate. (Not any more - thank God for solar fridges and for the people who gave us the money to buy ours!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this bit from NPR and providing perspective on life without modern conveniences (like electricity).

My son and I listened to the NPR broadcast (using the link you provided) and talked about how different life would be if we didn't have everything we have -- and take for granted.

I should add, he loves eggnog and doesn't know anything but the store-bought stuff. Yum, yum!