Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Soundtrack

I have seen various versions of this meme. Nobody has tagged me but I thought it looked fun. I got this particular version from here, via Google.

IF YOUR LIFE WERE A MOVIE, WHAT WOULD THE SOUNDTRACK BE?
1. Open your library (iTunes, Winamp, Media Player, iPod, etc.)
2. Put it on shuffle
3. Press play
4. For every question, type the song that's playing
5. When you go to a new question, press the next button
6. Don't lie and try to pretend you're cool...

I have no intention of trying to pretend I'm cool. I teach middle school, remember? I am painfully aware of how old and un-cool I am. Also, I should warn you that I have very eclectic - not to say weird - taste in music. I'll try not to cheat, though.

Opening Credits - "Never Be an Angel," by Margaret Becker. "So many, so many mistakes I make,/ So needing, so needing a touch of grace."

Waking Up - "Blood Makes Noise," by Suzanne Vega. "Blood makes noise/ It's a ringing in my ear/ Blood makes noise/ And I can't really hear you/ In the thickening of fear..." Hmm.

First Day at School - "A Lullabye," by Teresa Doyle. This comes from Putumayo's Dreamland CD. I love Putumayo. Not sure why I'm singing lullabies on the first day of school. If I'm going to sing them, though, this is a lovely Celtic one.

Falling in Love - Handel's "Water Music." Hm again.

Fight Song - "Waltz from Serenade for Strings in E, Opus 22," by Dvorak. What a civilized fight.

Breaking Up - "I Surrender All," by the Newsboys. "Can you hear the sound of laughter/ from the other side of life?/ There are days when I feel like a stranger sometimes/ Tell me, are there any other fools like me?. . . . He doesn't love us 'cause of who we are,/ He only loves us 'cause of who He is." Love the Newsboys.

Prom - No prom at my high school, but here goes. "Tik Tik Tak," by Glykeria. From Putumayo's World Playground CD. I think the lyrics are in Greek. Very catchy, and, no doubt, fun to dance to at my non-existent prom.

Life is Good - "Dolencias," by Pablo Carcamo. This is from an album called Magic Flutes and Music of the Andes. I don't speak Spanish, but the dictionary definition of this is "ailments." So, I guess, the glass is half empty even though life is good. Or something.

Mental Breakdown - "Concerto for guitar and viola d'amore, Allegro," by Vivaldi. I fight to Dvorak and break down to Vivaldi. This is one of those understated movies. It's probably going to be shown only on PBS.

Driving - "Ayiti - Bang Bang," by Carimi. From another Putumayo album, their French Caribbean one.

Flashback - "God Moves in a Mysterious Way/The Lord is in His Holy Temple." From Amy Grant's hymn album, Rock of Ages.

Getting Back Together - "Etienne et Petunia," from the Appalachia Waltz CD, with Yo-Yo Ma playing.

Wedding - "Suite for Trumpet & Organ," by Purcell.

Paying the Dues - "Clarinet Quintet in A Major," Mozart. Played by Benny Goodman. SO gorgeous. I'm not sure what paying the dues even means in this context. But I love love love Mozart clarinet music.

The Night Before the War - "The Boy in the Bubble," by Paul Simon. From the Graceland album. I think I wore out two copies of this cassette tape. Maybe three. "It was a slow day/ And the sun was beating/ On the soldiers by the side of the road/ There was a bright light/ A shattering of shop windows/ The bomb in the baby carriage/ Was wired to the radio..."

Final Battle - "What if His People Prayed," by Casting Crowns.

Moment of Triumph - Bach "Violin Concerto in A Minor, Allegro."

Death Scene - "Arise, Arise, You Slumbering Sleeper," by Custer LaRue, from In the Shadow of the Blue Ridge. This is a CD of artists from Virginia, put out by a public radio station.

Funeral Song - "In Christ There is no East or West," played by bagpipes. Really. From Song of the Piper.

End Credits - "Bi Thus A Mo Shuile," by Maire Brennan. It's "Be Thou My Vision," sung in Gaelic.

That was fun. It's scary how appropriate some of these are. And I didn't cheat - much. Just pressed refresh a couple of times when everything was coming up classical. And, OK, I didn't want my death song to be "I'm Leaving on a Jet Plane." I'm not superstitious but I just didn't like the sound of that one. And then there was that soundtrack from an animated movie about Beatrix Potter, I think - why is that in there? I confess I skipped "Tom Kitten." But not because I'm trying to pretend to be cool. Just because, well, it's about a kitten. So yeah, I cheated quite a bit. But it's my blog.

So, anybody else want to try it?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so tired of the idea that has gained very wide acceptance in the US that my tastes in music should confirm to a certain concept of cool. What is that? I really like your soundtrack. I'd like to listen to it.

Anonymous said...

I'm so "uncool," I don't even have an ipod. (See? I think I even typed it wrong.) Would that be that teeny tiny thing that my nieces plug into their ears and retreat into instead of taking part in conversation?

I haven't thought of Suzanne Vega in ages. I wish I could find the tape I used to listen to. I liked "The Queen and the Soldier," and "Small Blue Thing."

Ruth said...

LOL, yes, that's the one. My husband got me one for Christmas and I have enjoyed it. I mostly use it while I am exercising but I have used it in my classroom, too - it is very neat to be able to plug it into a speaker and have excellent quality sound. I have King's "I Have a Dream" speech in my 8th grade textbook - I downloaded it from the web for free in an educational podcast and played it for them. It was so much more effective than when I used to read it aloud.

Suzanne Vega always makes me think of you - you introduced me to her. I love both of those songs too.

theorivas said...

Oooo, that looks like fun. I'll try it! I like your soundtrack! My iTunes doesn't have all the classical, because I have never taken the time to download it from my CD's, hence, my iTunes music is more one sided -- borrowed music, mostly.