Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Happy and Sad

I am happy.

Babies. A lovely niece born early Monday morning, whom I have not yet seen in person, and a lovely nearly four month old nephew, whom I met over the weekend and whom I have been privileged to hold for hours. (What is this "let him fuss" of which they speak? I feign deafness.)

The beach. A family reunion complete with sunscreen, damp towels everywhere, soft, powdery sand. My back tingling from a bit too much sun. I have missed the tropics.

My husband. Back from Haiti for a rest and some family time. I listen to him snoring and find it a beautiful sound. I wake up beside him and feel the world is the way it is supposed to be.

And I am sad.

These photos of Port-au-Prince taken from the air show tents everywhere. It rains torrentially every night. People get no break from that. That's their life now.

No comments: