Thursday, June 24, 2010

Pictures of Egypt

My son came home from school on the last day and said, "What I don't understand is why I really want to go back to Haiti but I also don't want to leave my friends. I mean, when I first came here I thought I would hate it here. And I do, but..." and he teared up.

The whole time we were here, he resisted feeling at home because it seemed he felt that liking being here would be somehow disloyal to his home in Haiti. And now that we are getting ready to go back, we are learning once again that there is always somewhere to miss; there are always people to miss. Life is a continual series of goodbyes.

I can't decide how appropriate this Sara Groves song is to our situation. We're not going from slavery to freedom, just from one place of uncertainty to another one. And where is Egypt? The way Haiti used to be? Our temporary home here in the US? Or just the past...our strong desire to be somewhere comfortable, where everything is figured out, instead of stepping out into something new and strange, where we have to trust God to lead us?

No comments: