Friday, September 24, 2010

Poetry Friday: Sonnet 30


It's been a long time since I've posted any Shakespeare. In college my husband and I took an class on Shakespeare's sonnets where we read and discussed all of them. Today's reminds me of how incredibly blessed I am in my friends. I can hardly believe how many wonderful people love me - certainly many more than I deserve. This poem, like "When in disgrace with fortune and men's eyes," Sonnet 29, talks about all the things there are to feel badly about, and brood over, and grieve, and how friendship can help lift those burdens. I am grateful for all of the people who have helped me through those "fore-bemoaned moans" all through my life.

SONNET 30

When to the sessions of sweet silent thought
I summon up remembrance of things past,
I sigh the lack of many a thing I sought,
And with old woes new wail my dear time's waste:
Then can I drown an eye, unused to flow,
For precious friends hid in death's dateless night,
And weep afresh love's long since cancell'd woe,
And moan the expense of many a vanish'd sight:
Then can I grieve at grievances foregone,
And heavily from woe to woe tell o'er
The sad account of fore-bemoaned moan,
Which I new pay as if not paid before.
But if the while I think on thee, dear friend,
All losses are restored and sorrows end.

Here's today's Poetry Friday roundup.

2 comments:

Janet said...

I feel the same way -- hemmed in behind and before by these courageous, noble, faithful people. It inspires and encourages me in a way only Shakespeare could do justice to.

laurasalas said...

Haven't read this one in a while--thanks for sharing it. My favorite part is

Then can I drown an eye, unused to flow,
For precious friends hid in death's dateless night,

"death's dateless night" = fabulous!