Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Tuesday

My daughter always puts up more of a fuss than usual about getting up on Tuesdays. There are several reasons for this, but one, she admitted, is that "Tuesday is earthquake day." Tuesday, January 12th has spoiled Tuesdays a little bit.

Today was especially earthquake day because last night there was an aftershock. It was a small one and I slept through it, but a couple of my eighth graders felt it and one, especially, was very upset and didn't want to sit in the classroom. She insisted I leave the door open, and while I didn't want to make things worse by giving too much attention to her anxiety, neither did I want to invalidate her very real fear. She has good reasons to fear earthquakes, given what she lost on January 12th.

My students are a little bit on edge, too, because of kidnapping stories which are once again beginning to make the rounds. Several students know people who have been kidnapped in the last couple of weeks.

It also rained today. Every teacher I know hopes it won't rain at recess, but at our school when it rains during the day we have extra problems. Our cafeteria is outdoors, and ninety-nine percent of the time, this works fine. But when it's raining there's a bit of chaos as we try to keep everyone dry during lunch.

Here's hoping Wednesday will be a better day!

2 comments:

T and T Livesay said...

Glad you and Suzanna did not feel the aftershock. Do they always get called aftershocks ... at what point is it a new earthquake? Ugh. Stressed on behalf of your eighth graders!!!

Ruth said...

Hi Tara,

I'm not sure what the technical answer to that is, but I know that right after the EQ I read that aftershocks can last up to a year, so that's what I'm calling them. We miss you here - looking forward to your return!