Friday, December 31, 2010

Poetry Friday: Apollinaire

I'm writing this post a couple of weeks in advance, since I'm not sure I'll have access to a computer on this future date (December 31st) to post. I looked in my copy of this book to give me inspiration, and I thought what Laurie Sheck chose was perfect, so that's what I'm going to share.

Sheck has Richard Wilbur's translation, and I will also link you to the translation at PoemHunter.com (why don't people list the translator?), and to the poem in French, which is how I read it first, in college.

I love Apollinaire's reminder that, though the days don't come back, joy comes back again after sorrow. I learned that this year, among many other lessons. And the joy that came back was greater than the joy I had before, because joy tinged with sorrow is an awareness of what life is, how beautiful it is and how fleeting. 2011, I fear you, and yet I reach out to you, too, knowing that God will be with me.


Mirabeau Bridge

Guillaume Apollinaire

Under the Mirabeau Bridge there flows the Seine
Must I recall
Our loves recall how then
After each sorrow joy came back again

Let night come on bells end the day
The days go by me still I stay

Hands joined and face to face let's stay just so
While underneath
The bridge of our arms shall go
Weary of endless looks the river's flow

Let night come on bells end the day
The days go by me still I stay

All love goes by as water to the sea
All love goes by
How slow life seems to me
How violent the hope of love can be

Let night come on bells end the day
The days go by me still I stay

The days the weeks pass by beyond our ken
Neither time past
Nor love comes back again
Under the Mirabeau bridge there flows the Seine

Let night come on bells end the day
The days go by me still I stay


Here's the translation at PoemHunter.com and here's Le Pont Mirabeau in French along with helpful commentary if you're preparing for your bac.

Happy New Year! I hope to see you in 2011.

The Poetry Friday roundup is here.

1 comment:

Mary Lee said...

Best wishes for your New Year. Here's to more healing and rebuilding!