Friday, December 03, 2010

Poetry Friday: Dawn Dreams

Wednesday's Poem-A-Day email from Poets.org contained a poem about dreams, the kind you have right before you wake up, the ones that are tantalizingly close, but escape before you have a chance to look at them. I think Rachel Hadas has perfectly captured how that feels.

The poem ends:

Their colors at once brighter and less bright
than you remembered, they
hover and insinuate all day
at the corner of your eye.


Here's the whole thing.

I have been waking early lately, before sunrise. Since I live in the tropics, the sun comes up about the same time every day, even now, in the winter. I never used to be a morning person, but lately those moments of dawn dreams receding in the pink and orange sky really have been hovering in my mind all day long. Thank you, Rachel Hadas, for putting the experience into words.

Don't you love how poems do that: give you words for what you feel? What have you read lately that has put an elusive moment on paper for you? Or, what moment have you put on paper because nobody else had expressed it quite the way you lived it?

Today's Poetry Friday roundup is at The Miss Rumphius Effect.

2 comments:

Tara @ A Teaching Life said...

So true..especially the part about the way dreams insinuate their way into our wakeful life.

laurasalas said...

Yes! That's exactly what I love about poetry, and it's what makes me constantly go, "Why didn't I write that?" Thanks for sharing!